zsh-workers
* A key to delete a history item would be nice
@ 2012-12-29 21:22 Dave Yost
From: Dave Yost @ 2012-12-29 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I’m using up-arrow to look back in history. Some of those history items are useless because they are mistakes.

It would be nice if there were a keystroke that would delete the current history item.

* Re: A key to delete a history item would be nice
@ 2013-01-03 23:17 ` Ivan Sichmann Freitas
From: Ivan Sichmann Freitas @ 2013-01-03 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Yost; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 01:22:02PM -0800, Dave Yost did gyre and gimble:

>I’m using up-arrow to look back in history. Some of those history items
>are useless because they are mistakes.

I would recommend using history-incremental-search-backward and
history-incremental-pattern-search-backward (the former has the default
binding of Control+r in emacs mode) even if you manage to delete items
from your history. They are much faster and enable you to search history
based in words or patterns.

>It would be nice if there were a keystroke that would delete the current history item.

AFAIK there's no default zle widget to delete a item from the history,
but I think you can achieve it by creating a custom zle widget (se
zshzle(1) manpage). However, there are ways to control what is recorded
in history, see options HIST_IGNORE_DUPS, HIST_IGNORE_SPACE and others
at zshoptions(1).

--
Ivan Sichmann Freitas
GNU/Linux user #509059

* Re: A key to delete a history item would be nice
@ 2013-01-04  3:58   ` Dave Yost
From: Dave Yost @ 2013-01-04  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Sichmann Freitas; +Cc: zsh-workers

Thanks for the suggestions. But my RFE stands. It is a useful thing to be able to clean up clutter. The feature I’m proposing does that.