zsh-workers
* chpwd bug?
@ 1995-09-01 21:14 Hariharan Dhandapani
From: Hariharan Dhandapani @ 1995-09-01 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi everyone,

This is my chpwd function:

	chpwd() {
	  case ${PWD} in
	    /calm/*)  echo "\x1a//${NODENAME}:/ccview/norton_hari_vu${PWD}";;
	    *)  echo "\x1a//${NODENAME}:${PWD}";;
	  esac
	}

The objective is to keep eterm(in emacs) synchronized with the
shell(zsh), if the "/calm/*" statement looks like this:

	/calm/*)  echo "\x1a//${NODENAME}:/ccview/norton_hari_vu/${PWD}";;

it does not work, nothing gets echoed at all, it is as if this line
does not exist at all, note the only differnce in the 2 lines is the
addition of 1 slash(/) before ${PWD}, when ${PWD} is expanded, there
are actually 2 slashes(like in /ccview/norton_hari_vu//calm/repl), i
wonder whether the problem is related to my autoremoveslash setting,
right now i have it working using the 1st line, but i still think it
is a bug in zsh, anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
hari

* Re: chpwd bug?
@ 1995-09-04 13:33 ` P.Stephenson
From: P.Stephenson @ 1995-09-04 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

hari@sybase.com wrote:

> 	/calm/*)  echo "^Z//${NODENAME}:/ccview/norton_hari_vu/${PWD}";;
>
> it does not work, nothing gets echoed at all...

this may turn out not to be anything to do with the problem, but that
was a real control-z in your original post (I've changed it: anyone
reading this message on a DOS system???): it might be better if you
changed the echo to print and the literal ^Z to "\C-z" (exactly those
four keystrokes).  I've seen non-printing characters do curious
things.

--
Peter Stephenson <P.Stephenson@swansea.ac.uk>  Tel: +44 1792 205678 extn. 4461
WWW:  http://python.swan.ac.uk/~pypeters/      Fax: +44 1792 295324

* Re: chpwd bug?
@ 1995-09-05 18:50 Hariharan Dhandapani
From: Hariharan Dhandapani @ 1995-09-05 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers, P.Stephenson

@>> 	/calm/*)  echo "^Z//${NODENAME}:/ccview/norton_hari_vu/${PWD}";;
@>>
@>> it does not work, nothing gets echoed at all...
@>
@>this may turn out not to be anything to do with the problem, but that
@>was a real control-z in your original post (I've changed it: anyone
@>reading this message on a DOS system???): it might be better if you
@>changed the echo to print and the literal ^Z to "\C-z" (exactly those
@>four keystrokes).  I've seen non-printing characters do curious
@>things.

Actually, i think i figured out the problem and it has nothing to
do with zsh, as i mentioned in my post earlier, in the case it doesn't
work the echo'ed string looked like this:
	/ccview/norton_hari_vu//calm/repl
with two slashes, actually it turned out that emacs when it sees
two consecutive slashes, it ignores everything before it and assumes the
start of another fully qualified pathname, that is why it just recognized
just "/calm/repl", hope this is clear, in any case, my problem is resolved
and it is not a bug of any program!

Thanks,
hari