zsh-workers
* Re: git along
       [not found] <546501D1.3050608__38343.3247021914$1415903867$gmane$org@eastlink.ca>
@ 2014-11-13 19:03 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2014-11-13 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Ray Andrews <rayandrews@eastlink.ca> writes:

> Gentlemen,
>
> The 'git' manual being longer than War and Peace, let me ask
> some simple questions:
>
>       git clone git:where-its-coming-from where-its-going-to
>
> ... simple. If I rerun it with the same target dir, will it just
> update, or will it do the full monty all over again? Would any
> files I've added be preserved, or nuked?

It will fail:

fatal: destination path 'zsh' already exists and is not an empty directory.

> Or do we:
>
>     git update ...

Inside, do "git pull" inside the checkout.

> Can we:
>
>     git just-show-me-whats-changed ... ?
>
> ... or is life just not meant to be so painless?

To see the changes since last pull, you can use "git log -p @{1}.."
(drop the -p if you are not interested in the diff).

> Is there a recommended beginner's guide to git?

Perhaps
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html

For a detailed manual, try http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

hth,
--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-11-13 19:20 UTC | newest]