zsh-workers
* Re: surprise with echo
       [not found] ` <141218190653.ZM16331__11066.8365298354$1418958515$gmane$org@torch.brasslantern.com>
@ 2014-12-21 22:35   ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2014-12-21 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> writes:

> It's how array expansion works in the "rc" shell, which is the source
> from which this behavior is borrowed.  There's probably an "rc" list
> somewhere where you might get an explanation.

Just for the sake of completeness, this actually differs between
Byron's rc and the Bell Labs rc:

% /usr/bin/rc
; echo $version
1.7.2 $Release: @(#)rc 1.7.2 2014-09-10 $
; x=()
; echo foo$x
foo

% /opt/plan9/bin/rc
% x=()
% echo foo$x
rc (/opt/plan9/bin/rc): null list in concatenation

Neither is how RC_EXPAND_PARAM works, but I think that the zsh
behavior makes most sense.  (And is best enabled using foo$^x on demand.)

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-12-21 22:53 UTC | newest]