zsh-workers
* new test release
@ 1995-05-25 10:43 Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-05-25 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I just put a new snapshot zsh-2.6-beta9-test5.tar.gz
in the testing directory.  I still have some fixes
I want to add before the next real beta release,
but this test release should be stable.

rc

* Re: new test release
@ 1995-05-25 18:45 ` Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1995-05-25 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

>> Richard Coleman(RC) wrote on Thu, 25 May 1995 06:43:23 -0400:
RC> I just put a new snapshot zsh-2.6-beta9-test5.tar.gz
RC> in the testing directory.  I still have some fixes
RC> I want to add before the next real beta release,
RC> but this test release should be stable.

$ diff -c zsh-2.6-beta9-test*/ChangeLog
*** zsh-2.6-beta9-test2/ChangeLog	Fri May 19 03:09:20 1995
--- zsh-2.6-beta9-test5/ChangeLog	Thu May 25 03:49:26 1995
***************
*** 1,3 ****
--- 1,12 ----
+ Thu May 25 00:27:55 1995  Richard Coleman  <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
+
+ 	* Tighten up permissions on temporary files and named
+ 	  pipes that zsh creates.  From Duncan Sinclair (5298).
+
+ Mon May 22 23:54:52 1995  Richard Coleman  <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
+
+ 	* Use sed instead of cut in configure.  From Eskandar.
+
  Fri May 19 00:08:52 1995  Richard Coleman  <coleman@math.gatech.edu>

  	* Add some casts to pacify noisy compilers.

You're kidding, right? Surely there must be more difference than this --
these changes don't look substantial enough to me to warrant a rebuild from
test2 for most people.

  -mb-

* Re: new test release
@ 1995-05-25 21:05   ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-05-25 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Borges; +Cc: zsh-workers

> + Thu May 25 00:27:55 1995  Richard Coleman  <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
> +
> + 	* Tighten up permissions on temporary files and named
> + 	  pipes that zsh creates.  From Duncan Sinclair (5298).
> +
> + Mon May 22 23:54:52 1995  Richard Coleman  <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
> +
> + 	* Use sed instead of cut in configure.  From Eskandar.
> +
>   Fri May 19 00:08:52 1995  Richard Coleman  <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
>
>   	* Add some casts to pacify noisy compilers.
>
> You're kidding, right? Surely there must be more difference than this --
> these changes don't look substantial enough to me to warrant a rebuild from
> test2 for most people.

I usually don't put changelog entries for work that I do unless it
makes a big user visible change.  I've been spending some time
reorganizing some of the code and this usually doesn't warrant a
changelog entry (since the functionality is the same).

Also there is a bug I added in test2 that I fixed in test5.  In test2,
in certain situations, the environment variables HOME and PWD are not
initialized correctly.  I didn't put an entry for this in the changelog
since the bug was not in beta8.  Because of this, I would recommend
rebuilding if you are using test2.

Also I've done some other small things such as adding the new BUGS files,
the new FAQ, a new META-FAQ, updated the compctl-examples, and a made a
few other changes of this nature.

I admit it's not a huge difference from test2.  Everybody doesn't have
to build every test release I make.  I'm just trying to make the
latest snapshots available to people who are interested.

rc

* Re: new test release
       [not found] <199510291125.GAA09457@redwood.skiles.gatech.edu>
@ 1995-10-31 10:31 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1995-10-31 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Coleman

Richard wrote:
> commands and builtins) or on `exit'.  I still haven't added the patch
> to suppress saving of the history file if the `exec' is used in the
> init scripts.  I'm not sure what the reasoning for this is.  I don't use
> the history file that much.  Mark, was it you asking for this?

My patch contained the code to disable history saving on exec from an init
script.  The reason for that (as I wrote it when I posted the patch) is that
the history file is loaded after all of the init scripts have been completed.
Therefore whe history is empty in initialisation time, unless someone loads it
explicitely with fc.  Certainly noone wants to save an empty history.

Cheers,

   Zoltan