zsh-workers
* 2.6beta10 - a users comment.
@ 1995-07-17 15:54 Gene Cohler
From: Gene Cohler @ 1995-07-17 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

  First off praise for the excellent shell and the extraordinary effort
  (and clearly knowledge) you all do to keep it at the forefront.

  I have just switched from 2.5.03 to 2.6-beta10 and I should like
  to pass along a couple of comments.  (My system is HPUX s700/9.01

  o When I now 'su user' command line editing ceases to work.
    No amount of 'bindkey -v' gets it back.  Control chars print nothing
    when typed but hitting return causes an execution attempt. For example:
    ESC k prints nothing but after a return:

    %
    zsh: command not found: ^[k

    Things seems 'messed up' in other ways too. For example I can
    backspace over the prompt and even thru to previous lines.

    The workaround I have found is to 'rlogin localhost' which is
    really not massively pleasant.

    Curiously 'su root' works fine.

    Observation: After the 'su' the variable TTY becomes unset and
		 unsetable: Is this related ?
		 The variable BAUD turns to 0.

   --> Help ?

  o vi editing: the '.' command has changed. If I recall a line
    and want to change 2 instances of a word with another - in the
    earlier version I sould move cursor to start of 'word1' and 'cw' and
    change to new value. Then move cursor to 'word2' and '.'
    This erases word2 but does not replace the text. The new behaviour
    is not consistent with the vi editor.

   --> Bug ?

  o Split man pages. I know this is religious but the multiple sections
    are not convenient (for me) to use at all. In days of yore i could simply
    'man zsh' and then search back and forward for what I needed to my
    little heart's content. Now I need to first remember the name of
    the 5 sections and work with them all.

    I suspect having separate sections is brilliant for the man
    page writer and a somewhat painful for the consumer. Perhaps the middle
    ground is to have each section include the next ?

   --> Not a bug.

  Thanks.

  gene cohler
  gene_cohler@sapience.com

  % setopt
  autolist
  automenu
  autopushd
  autoremoveslash
  correct
  cshjunkieparen
  extendedglob
  hashcmds
  hashdirs
  hashlistall
  histignoredups
  ignoreeof
  interactive
  interactivecomments
  listtypes
  longlistjobs
  magicequalsubst
  monitor
  nobadpattern
  nobanghist
  nohup
  nonomatch
  notify
  pushdminus
  pushdsilent
  pushdtohome
  rmstarsilent
  shinstdin
  shwordsplit
  zle

Gene
gene@sapience.com

* Re: 2.6beta10 - a users comment.
@ 1995-07-17 16:39 ` Gene Cohler
From: Gene Cohler @ 1995-07-17 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

 Follow up to my man page comment. What I am doing here is simply to create a
zshall.1 which contains.

.so zsh.1
.so zshbuiltins.1
.so zshcompctl.1
.so zshexpn.1
.so zshparam.1
.so zshzle.1
.so zshoptions.1
.so zshmisc.1

This does the trick for me and keeps the separation.

Gene
gene@sapience.com

* Re: 2.6beta10 - a users comment.
@ 1995-07-17 17:01 ` P.Stephenson
From: P.Stephenson @ 1995-07-17 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Cohler; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

gene@sapience.com wrote:
>   o When I now 'su user' command line editing ceases to work.
>     No amount of 'bindkey -v' gets it back.  Control chars print nothing
>     when typed but hitting return causes an execution attempt. For example:
>     ESC k prints nothing but after a return:

My fault: I hadn't realised that opening the tty for writing would
fail in this case.  The patch I submitted a week or two ago should fix
this (at the expense of an extra fd and file in the case that fd 0 is
not writable --- it is by default, but an exec would change that;
Zoltan has suggested an alternative fix based on using just /dev/tty
which I haven't tried out yet).

>   o Split man pages. I know this is religious but the multiple sections
>     are not convenient (for me) to use at all. In days of yore i could simply
>     'man zsh' and then search back and forward for what I needed to my
>     little heart's content. Now I need to first remember the name of
>     the 5 sections and work with them all.

Richard: could we supply the something like the following zshall page
as well?  That would fix the problem without keeping multiple copies.
It's just the zsh page with some .so's added:  unfortunately, .so
appears to be botched so that you have to specify the full pathname,
so that the /usr/local's I've put in should really be whatever
--prefix is given to configure.  (You can only put man1/zshmisc.1
etc. in the first line of a manual entry, it seems.  This is
typical of nroff which is surely the product of a deranged mind.)

(I'd just finished this when I got the followup with exactly the same
idea, even the same name.)

(Also, putting a note about this in the main zsh page would be a good idea.)

pws

.\"
.TH ZSHALL 1 "March 2, 1995" "zsh version 2.7"
.SH NAME
zsh \- the Z shell
.SH SYNOPSIS
.\" \fBzsh\fP [ \(+-\fIoptions\fP ] [ \(+-\fBo\fP \fIoption\fP ] ...  [ \-\fBc\fP \fIstring\fP ] [ \fIarg\fP ... ]

.SH "DESCRIPTION"
Zsh is a UNIX command interpreter (shell) usable as an interactive
login shell and as a shell script command processor.  Of the standard shells,
zsh most closely resembles \fIksh\fR but includes many enhancements.  Zsh
has comand line editing, builtin spelling correction, programmable
command completion, shell functions (with autoloading), a history
mechanism, and a host of other features.
.sp
This manual page includes all the separate manual pages in the
following order:  zshmisc (general information), zshexpn (command and
parameter expansion), zshbuiltins (built-in functions), zshcompctl
(completion control via the \fBcompctl\fP built-in), zshparam
(shell parameters), zshzle (command line editing) and zshoptions
(shell options).
.so /usr/local/man/man1/zshmisc.1
.so /usr/local/man/man1/zshexpn.1
.so /usr/local/man/man1/zshbuiltins.1
.so /usr/local/man/man1/zshcompctl.1
.so /usr/local/man/man1/zshparam.1
.so /usr/local/man/man1/zshzle.1
.so /usr/local/man/man1/zshoptions.1
.SH "INVOCATION OPTIONS"
If the \-\fBs\fP flag is not present and an argument is given,
the first argument is taken to be the pathname of a script to
execute.  The remaining arguments are assigned to the positional
parameters.  The following flags are interpreted by the shell
when invoked:
.TP
.PD 0
\-\fBc\fP \fIstring\fP
Read commands from \fIstring\fP.
.TP
\-\fBi\fP
Force shell to be interactive.
.TP
\-\fBs\fP
Read command from the standard input.
.SH STARTUP/SHUTDOWN FILES
Commands are first read from /etc/zshenv.
If the \-\fBf\fP flag is present or if the \fBNO_RCS\fP option is set
within /etc/zshenv, all other
initialization files are skipped.
Otherwise, commands are read
from $ZDOTDIR/.zshenv.
(If \fBZDOTDIR\fP is unset, \fBHOME\fP is used instead).
If the first character of argument zero passed to the shell
is \-, or if the \-\fBl\fP flag is present, then the shell is
assumed to be a login shell, and commands
are read from /etc/zprofile and then $ZDOTDIR/.zprofile.
Then, if the shell is interactive,
commands are read from /etc/zshrc and then $ZDOTDIR/.zshrc.
Finally, if the shell is a login shell, /etc/zlogin and $ZDOTDIR/.zlogin
are read.
.SH FILES
$ZDOTDIR/.zshenv
.br
$ZDOTDIR/.zprofile
.br
$ZDOTDIR/.zshrc
.br
$ZDOTDIR/.zlogin
.br
$ZDOTDIR/.zlogout
.br
/tmp/zsh*
.br
/etc/zshenv
.br
/etc/zprofile
.br
/etc/zshrc
.br
/etc/zlogin
.br
/etc/zlogout
.SH AUTHOR
Zsh was originally written by Paul Falstad <pf@z-code.com>.
.br
Programmable completion was implemented by Sven
Wischnowsky <oberon@cs.tu-berlin.de> and Peter Stephenson
<P.Stephenson@swansea.ac.uk>.  Zsh is currently maintained by the
coordinated by Richard Coleman <zsh@math.gatech.edu>.
.SH SEE ALSO
sh(1),
csh(1),
tcsh(1),
rc(1),
bash(1),
ksh(1),

* Re: 2.6beta10 - a users comment.
@ 1995-07-17 18:52   ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-07-17 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> >   o Split man pages. I know this is religious but the multiple sections
> >     are not convenient (for me) to use at all. In days of yore i could simply
> >     'man zsh' and then search back and forward for what I needed to my
> >     little heart's content. Now I need to first remember the name of
> >     the 5 sections and work with them all.

Yes, but unfortunately the man pages are weighing in at about 90
pages now.  The split was necessary to make them maintainable since
I'm planning on adding more detail to various sections. My intentions
since I made the split were to supply both split versions and a single
mega-manpage.  I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

> Richard: could we supply the something like the following zshall page
> as well?  That would fix the problem without keeping multiple copies.
> It's just the zsh page with some .so's added:  unfortunately, .so
> appears to be botched so that you have to specify the full pathname,
> so that the /usr/local's I've put in should really be whatever
> --prefix is given to configure.  (You can only put man1/zshmisc.1
> etc. in the first line of a manual entry, it seems.  This is
> typical of nroff which is surely the product of a deranged mind.)

Hmm... my vague plan was to have some type of perl script that created
a mega-manpage out of the pieces, but if this works, then this would
be easier.  Maybe use a simple sed script to put in the right path
names in zshall.1.

rc