zsh-workers
* I'm on vacation!
@ 1995-07-21  4:38 Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-07-21  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I had hoped to have a new beta version out before
vacation time, but didn't get finished.  I've put
a good bit of work into it.   I've been cleaning up the
various functions in builtin.c which deal with the various
hash tables.  Since I can never leave things the way they
are, this has lead to me rewriting about 40% of builtin.c
so far.  I've cleaned up the code that scans through the
various tables.  I've also cleaned up the various functions
for printing things such as aliases and shell functions
(no more global variables showflag and showflag2).

I'm aheading out for vacation now and will be back
in a week.  Then I'm finish up beta11.

Later,

rc

* Re: I'm on vacation!
@ 1995-08-15 23:48 ` Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1995-08-15 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coleman; +Cc: zsh-workers

>> Richard Coleman(RC) wrote on Fri, 21 Jul 1995 00:38:09 -0400:

RC> I'm aheading out for vacation now and will be back
RC> in a week.  Then I'm finish up beta11.

It's been over three weeks since the last I heard from Richard.
Richard, are you there? Anyone know if he made it back?

  -mb-

* Re: I'm on vacation!
@ 1995-08-15 23:59   ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1995-08-15 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

>It's been over three weeks since the last I heard from Richard.
>Richard, are you there? Anyone know if he made it back?

He must have.  He posted to comp.unix.shell a week or two ago.  A
better question is: when will beta11 be released?  beta10 has had so
many major patches that we really need a new release to start from.
I've got a TODO list with a few dozen entries, about half of which I
intend to code for beta11.  Then we'll need a beta12 to cope with the
large number of major patches to beta11, along with the much larger
number of bug fixes to the major patches...

-zefram

* Re: I'm on vacation!
@ 1995-08-16  0:16   ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-08-16  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Borges; +Cc: zsh-workers

> RC> I'm aheading out for vacation now and will be back
> RC> in a week.  Then I'm finish up beta11.
>
> It's been over three weeks since the last I heard from Richard.
> Richard, are you there? Anyone know if he made it back?

Yep, I'm back.  As soon as I got back, my boss went on vacation
for two weeks, so I've been fairly busy.

I started back working on zsh about four or five days ago and have been
making some good progress.  As I mentioned before, I've been working
on splitting the cmdnamtab hash table into three different hash
tables (cmdnamtab, builtintab, shfunctab).  This has resulted in much
cleaner code in many places as well as some potential speedups.  This
has been a much bigger job than I expected (isn't it always!) so the
next beta is taking much longer than I expected.  But the new code
seems pretty clean, so I think it will be worth the work.

I realize that everyone is anxious for beta11.  Probably in about a week
or two I will start making test releases.  With all the changes I've
made, we will dip back to alpha status for a short period of time.
But that shouldn't last too long.

One problem is that I've been doing so much work on my own changes that
I'm about a million (feels like it anyway) patches behind.  But it
shouldn't take too long to catch up since the changes I'm making seem
to be somewhat independent of things other people are working on.

Richard Coleman
zsh@math.gatech.edu
coleman@math.gatech.edu