zsh-workers
* No TTY after su -- can't edit history!
@ 1995-08-23 20:00 Jerzy Sobczyk
From: Jerzy Sobczyk @ 1995-08-23 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi!
I have just got zsh-2.6-beta10 succesfully compiled it under Solaris 2.3
and after playing a while I have noticed following feature:
when I do following steps:
	1. su
	2. su - user
	3. zsh
then I can not edit the history.
As far as I could trace the problem it comes from the fact that
in step 2 Solaris does not change the owner of /dev/pts/? and as a result
in zsh the symbol TTY is empty and can not be set.
I am not sure if this should be fixed in zsh or in Solaris.
	Jerzy
PS.
I am not subscribed to the list so please mail me directly.
Jerzy Sobczyk              ____________ ___     Institute of Control and
J.Sobczyk@ia.pw.edu.pl    /  /     |  |/  _\    Computation Engineering,
                         /  /  /|  |  |  (____         Warsaw University
tel.+48 2 660 7297      /  /  _>|  |  |\____  \            of Technology
fax.+48 22 253719      /__/__/__|__|__|_____)  \       Nowowiejska 15/19
tlx. 813 307 pw pl    /________________________/   00-665 Warsaw, POLAND

* Re: No TTY after su -- can't edit history!
@ 1995-08-23 20:13 ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-08-23 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerzy Sobczyk; +Cc: zsh-workers

> I have just got zsh-2.6-beta10 succesfully compiled it under Solaris 2.3
> and after playing a while I have noticed following feature:
> when I do following steps:
> 	1. su
> 	2. su - user
> 	3. zsh
> then I can not edit the history.
> As far as I could trace the problem it comes from the fact that
> in step 2 Solaris does not change the owner of /dev/pts/? and as a result
> in zsh the symbol TTY is empty and can not be set.
> I am not sure if this should be fixed in zsh or in Solaris.
> 	Jerzy

Yes, this is a known bug.  It will be fixed in beta11.  Beta11
should be available in a couple of weeks.

Richard Coleman
coleman@math.gatech.edu