zsh-workers
* Building zsh for multiple platforms
@ 1995-10-17  1:21 Barton E. Schaefer
From: Barton E. Schaefer @ 1995-10-17  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I just tried out the trick of making a fresh directory for a new platform
target and then running /path/to/zsh-sources/configure from the new dir.
That seemed to work fine, so I ran "make", which also worked fine except
that it put the final "zsh" executable in /path/to/zsh-sources/Src/zsh,
stomping on the build I already had there.

Seems to me it ought to put the executable in the same place that it puts
the object files.  Why is GNU make using the VPATH to determine the target
directory for the executable?

(This is on Linux 1.2.13 with GCC 2.7.0 and GNU Make 3.74, when building
zsh-2.6-beta11-test9-hzoli11)
--
Bart Schaefer                     Vice President, Technology, Z-Code Software
schaefer@z-code.com                  Division of NCD Software Corporation

* Re: Building zsh for multiple platforms
@ 1995-10-17 13:58 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
       [not found]   ` <hzoli@cs.elte.hu>
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1995-10-17 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> I just tried out the trick of making a fresh directory for a new platform
> target and then running /path/to/zsh-sources/configure from the new dir.
> That seemed to work fine, so I ran "make", which also worked fine except
> that it put the final "zsh" executable in /path/to/zsh-sources/Src/zsh,
> stomping on the build I already had there.
>
> Seems to me it ought to put the executable in the same place that it puts
> the object files.  Why is GNU make using the VPATH to determine the target
> directory for the executable?

I think GNU make just finds that there is a zsh bin in the target dir, and
puts the binary there.  I usually make all of my binaries in a separate
directory.  This does not pollute the source dir with .o, .pro etc. files, and
this way it is easier to pack a release.  But if you have a bin in the source
dir you can force make to compile into the destination dir by creating an
empty zsh file in the destination dir before doing a make.  Make will find it,
and will put the result there.

Bye,
  Zoltan

@ 1995-10-17 21:47     ` Barton E. Schaefer
From: Barton E. Schaefer @ 1995-10-17 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Oct 17,  2:58pm, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
} Subject: Re: Building zsh for multiple platforms
}
} I think GNU make just finds that there is a zsh bin in the target dir, and
} puts the binary there.

Yeah, I finally located the info file for make (it's not installed on the
machine where I was doing the build).  That is in fact the way VPATH is
defined to work.

However, I wonder if perhaps the zsh rule should override that somehow?
It doesn't seem appropriate in the context in which the zsh build is
using VPATH.