zsh-workers
* feature suggestion
@ 2023-07-28  5:15 Terrance Hendrik
From: Terrance Hendrik @ 2023-07-28  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Dear developers,

Please add `apt info` as same function as `apt install` into  `_apt-cmd` of
`functions/Completion/Debian/_apt`

thanks
--
Terrance

* Re: feature suggestion
@ 2023-07-28 19:08 ` Aaron Schrab
From: Aaron Schrab @ 2023-07-28 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Terrance Hendrik; +Cc: zsh-workers

At 13:15 +0800 28 Jul 2023, Terrance Hendrik <terrance.hendrik@gmail.com> wrote:
>Please add `apt info` as same function as `apt install` into
>`_apt-cmd` of
>`functions/Completion/Debian/_apt`

That doesn't appear to be documented as an apt subcommand, I don't see
it in either the apt(8) manpage or the output of `apt help`.

However both of those sources *do* mention `apt show` which seems to do
the same. That *is* supported by the completion code, and would probably
be a better thing to clone if support for `apt info` were to be added
(although since `install` and `show` just seem to complete all packages
I don't think it matters much currently).

* Re: feature suggestion
@ 2023-07-31 14:56   ` Terrance Hendrik
From: Terrance Hendrik @ 2023-07-31 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Terrance Hendrik, zsh-workers

hmm, it's not in the `--help` or man page. looks like an alias of
subcommand `show`.

ref:

[https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt/-/blob/main/cmdline/apt.cc]

@ 1997-11-11 17:40 ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1997-11-11 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

ramos@ih4ess.ih.lucent.com said:
> The "magic" relationship between path/PATH, manpath/MANPATH, and
> fpath/FPATH (are there others?) should be made genericly available
> via a typeset flag. e.g.

This has come up before, but I can't remember what happened to it.  Some
shells, (ksh93?, tcsh?) have a more general feature of programmable actions
which happen when parameters get set/read, so perhaps the plan was to provide
and use that?

There's a bit of a problem with things like: "set cdpath=(/foo:blurb ..
~/bin)" and the like, but that exists already and doesn't bother anyone.

In any case, I think you're right, there ought to be some way of doing this,
and I can't see a way.  (typeset -m is a bad choice though, since -m is
already taken.)

* Feature Suggestion
@ 1997-11-11 16:53 ramos
From: ramos @ 1997-11-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I would like to suggest a new zsh feature, to anybody who
has the inclination to implement it:

The "magic" relationship between path/PATH, manpath/MANPATH,
and fpath/FPATH (are there others?) should be made genericly
available via a typeset flag. e.g.

	# Ties myarray and MYARRAY as a "mirrored" array & colon-
	# separated-scalar pair.

	typeset -m myarray=(x y z)
	echo $MYARRAY

	(output: x:y:z)

And, why be restricted to ":" as separator for the scalar?

	typeset -m"," LIST=a,b,c
	echo $list[2]

	(output: b)

Or actually, why be restricted by the lowercase/upercase convention?

	# Syntax still needs some thought

	typeset -m myarray1:myarray2

While we're on the subject of arrays... it would be nice if there
was a way to use array values without having to first assign it to
a variable. e.g.

	x=(a b c); echo $x[2] 	# works
	echo (a b c)[2]		# doesn't
	echo $[(a b c)[2]]	# doesn't either