zsh-workers
* IMO zle-line-pre-redraw is called much too often
@ 2016-02-04 15:41 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2016-02-04 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I was a little skeptical of this when it was added, but having just tried
a couple of experiments with it I'm unhappy with the implementation.  It
is called at every self-insert, for example.

There has to be a more reasonable compromise.

* Re: IMO zle-line-pre-redraw is called much too often
@ 2016-02-04 15:51 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2016-02-04 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh workers

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> I was a little skeptical of this when it was added, but having just tried
> a couple of experiments with it I'm unhappy with the implementation.  It
> is called at every self-insert, for example.
>
> There has to be a more reasonable compromise.

Do you propose the code should diff the old and the new input + cursor
position to find out if it's different, and only call it in that case?
Because that doesn't sound like any fun to me. It also seems highly
unlikely to me that a self-insert does _not_ result in a new output,
so when would the hook ever not be called in this case?

--
Mikael Magnusson