zsh-workers
* Is there a way to set a var above it's current scope?
@ 2023-02-18 14:55 Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2023-02-18 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Somewhere in the man I saw something like: if you use export you'll always
set in global scope, regardless of any local variable collision. However,
(){local q; export q=1;};print $q doesn't print 1. Is there any way of
achieving this?

* Re: Is there a way to set a var above it's current scope?
@ 2023-02-18 15:29 ` Roman Perepelitsa
From: Roman Perepelitsa @ 2023-02-18 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Gniazdowski; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 3:57 PM Sebastian Gniazdowski
<sgniazdowski@gmail.com> wrote:

> Somewhere in the man I saw something like: if you use export you'll
> always set in global scope, regardless of any local variable
> collision.

You might be confusing it with the fact that `typeset -x q` is
equivalent to `typeset -gx q` and `export q` when used within a
function, even though normally `typeset` within a function is
equivalent to `local`.

> Is there any way of achieving this?

If there is a variable in function scope, there is no way to do
anything with the identically-named variable in global scope.

    q=42

    () {
      local q;
      # Nothing you can do here will have any
      # effect on the global `q`.
    }

Roman.

* Re: Is there a way to set a var above it's current scope?
@ 2023-02-18 16:17   ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2023-02-18 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Perepelitsa; +Cc: Zsh hackers list