zsh-workers
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@gmail.com>
To: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: [BUG?] Very strange behavior, execution of a function is interrupted
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 21:12:26 +0200	[thread overview]

I've found the cause. `compinit' does `read -q' when occurring
insecure directories. If this happens from `sched' with possibly Zle
being active, then following call inside bin_read() uses Zle's
raw_getbyte() to read a character:

zleentry(ZLE_CMD_GET_KEY, izle_timeout, NULL, &val);

This means that `read' can make all the rich side-effects of the regular
command-line to activate. I think this has significant importance, is
severe. I wouldn't expect the `read' builtin to bring up whole `zle -F'
handling, waiting for inputs, invoking callbacks.

Below test code confirms the above thesis. Its execution is recorded
here: https://asciinema.org/a/199265 Basically, my problem is that
Zplugin's scheduler gets invoked in nested manner because of
compinit's `read -q' (I was doing stress tests with compaudit
activating) and data structures go to improper state.

FD=1337; setup() {
    exec {FD}< <( sleep 1; echo run )
    zle -F $FD -my-scheduler
    echo "Sched call reporting being called"
    read -q "?[y/n]?"
    echo "Sched call reporting exiting"
}
-my-scheduler() {
    local THEFD="$1"; zle -F "$THEFD"; exec {THEFD}<&- # remove zle -F handler
    echo "Zle -F handler reporting being called"
}
sched +1 setup