zsh-workers
* zsh adds empty string to local parameter when += is used
@ 2021-01-20 16:16 jamil bio
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jamil bio @ 2021-01-20 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hello good people,

It seems there is a bug which I will describe below.
I checked with usenet comp.unix.shell people and they said that is
strange behavior.

I am using Z-shell 5.8. The problem is when I add elements to an array
with += inside a function, an empty element is generated. The empty
element is added only if I set array $files as local.

The following is an example code.

#!/bin/zsh
#!/bin/bash

func()
{
     local REPLY  files

     #unset files
     for REPLY in file1 file2 file3
     do
         files+=( "$REPLY" )
         echo "${#files[@]} -- ${files[@]}"
     done
}

func

If I set $files to local but unset it before the loop, the empty element
is not added. Running the script with zsh returns:

2 --  file1
3 --  file1 file2
4 --  file1 file2 file3

While if we run the code with bash:

1 -- file1
2 -- file1 file2
3 -- file1 file2 file3

I was actually using a while read loop to read filenames, but the
problem also occurs when I use the for loop.

So the workaround suggested is to set $files as local and then later
define files=( ) which will prevent empty element being added somehow.

Thanks for all your efforts in making zsh so great!