zsh-workers
* Bug with multibyte and completion
@ 2005-10-19 13:38 François-Xavier Coudert
From: François-Xavier Coudert @ 2005-10-19 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: FX Coudert

Hi,

Former user of zsh, I switched to bash for its ability to handle
multibyte. I regularly try zsh from CVS to keep track of the
progresses and switch back as soon as possible. I found very good
multibyte improvements (thanks for the good work!), and experienced
the following bug. I hope this can help, if this is already known,
please ignore me...

[all this in UTF-8 locale] In a directory containing two files,
foo.pdf and 文京区と目黒区.pdf (or any unicode with double-width characters
on my xterm), typing "ls" and asking for completion gives
successively:

pc31 /tmp/test $ ls foo.pdf
foo.pdf             文京区と目黒区.pdf

pc31 /tmp/test $ ls 文京区と目黒区.pdf
foo.pdf             文京区と目黒区.pdf

pc31 /tmp/test $ ls 文京区 foo.pdf
foo.pdf             文京区と目黒区.pdf

While the first two are OK, the third should be exactly like the
first. It looks like the wide-characters string is not erased
correctly. Pressing ^L at that point results in the redrawn screen
looking as it should.

Thanks,
FX

* Re: Bug with multibyte and completion
@ 2005-10-19 13:49 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2005-10-19 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François-Xavier Coudert, zsh-workers

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois-Xavier_Coudert?= wrote:
> [all this in UTF-8 locale] In a directory containing two files,
> foo.pdf and ^[$BJ85~6h$HL\9u6h^[(B.pdf (or any unicode with double-width
> characters on my xterm)...

The display code doesn't yet handled characters that aren't a single
display width; it's on my list of things to do.  Bits of the code
already should handle it (prompts, for example), but it's probably not
well tested, so when I do get around to this bit, your services will
be useful...

pws