zsh-workers
* Solaris x86?
@ 1996-10-25 15:14 Scott Lipcon
From: Scott Lipcon @ 1996-10-25 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi... I'm trying to get zsh 3.0.0 to compile on Solaris x86, and I'm not
having any luck.  I followed the instructions in the Etc/MACHINES file
for Solaris 2.X (unset $LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and that didn't help.

I don't know what sort of information you would need in order to give me
suggestions - please email me if you want any copies of the output of
make, or configure, or anything else.

Thanks a lot!
Scott

* Re: Solaris x86?
@ 1996-10-25 15:31 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1996-10-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Lipcon; +Cc: zsh-workers

>Hi... I'm trying to get zsh 3.0.0 to compile on Solaris x86, and I'm not
>having any luck.  I followed the instructions in the Etc/MACHINES file
>for Solaris 2.X (unset $LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and that didn't help.

that should be "unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH" (no $).

-zefram

* Re: Solaris x86?
@ 1996-10-25 15:35   ` Scott Lipcon
From: Scott Lipcon @ 1996-10-25 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram; +Cc: Scott Lipcon, zsh-workers

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Zefram wrote:

> >Hi... I'm trying to get zsh 3.0.0 to compile on Solaris x86, and I'm not
> >having any luck.  I followed the instructions in the Etc/MACHINES file
> >for Solaris 2.X (unset $LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and that didn't help.
>
> that should be "unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH" (no $).

hmm... maybe there's a problem:

> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib
> unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib
> unset $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib

Neither seems to work.  Which library was the one that caused problems?

Scott

* Re: Solaris x86?
@ 1996-10-25 15:42     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-10-25 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Lipcon; +Cc: Zefram, Scott Lipcon, zsh-workers

Scott Lipcon (slipcon@hops.cs.jhu.edu) wrote:
> hmm... maybe there's a problem:
>
> > echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib
> > unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib
> > unset $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib
>
> Neither seems to work.  Which library was the one that caused problems?

This may be a stupid question, but are you really using zsh?  This
looks much like tcsh prompt and tcsh behaviour.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Solaris x86?
@ 1996-10-25 15:48       ` Scott Lipcon
From: Scott Lipcon @ 1996-10-25 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hrvoje Niksic; +Cc: Zefram, Scott Lipcon, zsh-workers

On 25 Oct 1996, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> > Neither seems to work.  Which library was the one that caused problems?
>
> This may be a stupid question, but are you really using zsh?  This
> looks much like tcsh prompt and tcsh behaviour.

I'm using tcsh, to compile zsh, so I don't have to use tcsh anymore :-)

More specific information:
Its having a bunch of "assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast" warnings, throughout the source.  Then, it totally dies when it gets
to signals.c  I tried fiddling with the #define's in config.h that have to
do with signals - I guess configure decided that Solaris had POSIX signal
handling.  I tried it with the SysV signal handling, and it got about 200
lines farther in signals.c before stopping with more errors.  Is it
possible that Solaris x86 has really weird signal handling?

Thanks,
Scott

@ 1996-10-25 15:59         ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-10-25 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Lipcon; +Cc: Hrvoje Niksic, Zefram, Scott Lipcon, zsh-workers

Scott Lipcon (slipcon@hops.cs.jhu.edu) wrote:
> On 25 Oct 1996, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> > > Neither seems to work.  Which library was the one that caused problems?
> > This may be a stupid question, but are you really using zsh?  This
> > looks much like tcsh prompt and tcsh behaviour.
> I'm using tcsh, to compile zsh, so I don't have to use tcsh anymore
> :-)

Then use unsetenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH instead of unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Zefram assumed you were using zsh.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
"What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the sound of a wall that
people have stopped banging their heads against?" -- Larry Wall

* Re: Solaris x86?
@ 1996-10-26  0:38         ` Scott Lipcon
From: Scott Lipcon @ 1996-10-26  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hrvoje Niksic, Zefram, zsh-workers

Hi... I think I figured out the problem, but I can't solve it!  In the
FAQ, there is a mention that nawk on some systems has a bug which causes
the signal handling to be treated wrong.  The workaround is to use gawk.
That is why it compiled fine on the sparc solaris 2.5 machine but not any
of the pentium solaris 2.5 machines.  the sparc has gawk installed.  I
tried to compile gawk, and it wont compile on the pentiums either!  So, I
figured no big deal - I'll just use gawk on the sparc to generate the
correct signames.h file for the pentium, but I can't for the life of me
figure out how to do that.

You might want to add this to the Machines file if you can reproduce it -
Solaris 2.5's nawk doesn't work right.

Any suggestions?
Scott

* Re: Solaris x86?
@ 1996-10-29 13:12           ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1996-10-29 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Lipcon; +Cc: zsh-workers

> Hi... I think I figured out the problem, but I can't solve it!  In the
> FAQ, there is a mention that nawk on some systems has a bug which causes
> the signal handling to be treated wrong.  The workaround is to use gawk.
> That is why it compiled fine on the sparc solaris 2.5 machine but not any
> of the pentium solaris 2.5 machines.  the sparc has gawk installed.  I
> tried to compile gawk, and it wont compile on the pentiums either!  So, I
> figured no big deal - I'll just use gawk on the sparc to generate the
> correct signames.h file for the pentium, but I can't for the life of me
> figure out how to do that.
>
> You might want to add this to the Machines file if you can reproduce it -
> Solaris 2.5's nawk doesn't work right.

The nawk on Solaris x86 should work fine (as it is from the same code
code as the one on Solaris sparc).  I suspect you are trying to use
a gcc that hasn't been installed correctly.  Did you run the script to
fix the includes when you installed gcc?

rc

* Re: Solaris x86?
@ 1996-10-29 13:39             ` Scott Lipcon
From: Scott Lipcon @ 1996-10-29 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Coleman; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Richard Coleman wrote:

> The nawk on Solaris x86 should work fine (as it is from the same code
> code as the one on Solaris sparc).  I suspect you are trying to use
> a gcc that hasn't been installed correctly.  Did you run the script to
> fix the includes when you installed gcc?

We figured out that it wasn't the nawk.  I didn't install gcc on the
system, so I'm not sure about that.  The stage I got to yesterday, but
haven't had time since then to work on is this: I ran gcc -E on
sys/signal.h on both the sparc and the x86 machine.  The sparc output has
the normal things you'd expect - the x86 output is almost entirely blank!
There is some #ifdef that just doesn't belong, or something needs to be
#define'd to work on the x86.  I'll report back once I have the time to
pick through the includes more carefully.

Scott

* Re: Solaris x86?
@ 1996-11-06 18:55             ` Scott Lipcon
From: Scott Lipcon @ 1996-11-06 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

To all who helped try to figure out my Solaris x86 problem last week - it
turned out to be a serious problem in the installation of the compiler -
several include files (not just the suspect signal.h) were missing, in the
wrong place, or just messed up.  The admin re-installed gcc, and all is
fine.

Thanks again,
Scott