zsh-workers
* zsh-2.5.03-2.6b17 under Solaris 2.5 trouble with mult()
@ 1996-05-07 22:29 Erik Ogan
From: Erik Ogan @ 1996-05-07 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I just sub'ed yesterday, but I've poked around the archives and I
haven't found anything that seems even remotely related to this
problem.

The following occurs on all of our Solaris 2.5 boxes for zsh versions
2.5.03 - 2.6b17 (ok, I didn't try EVERY beta...:) but does NOT occur
under SunOS 4.1.x.

Everything compiles fine, but in the when it (gcc-2.7.2) tries to link:

gcc -o zsh builtin.o compat.o cond.o exec.o glob.o hashtable.o hist.o
init.o input.o jobs.o lex.o linklist.o loop.o math.o mem.o params.o
parse.o signals.o subst.o text.o utils.o watch.o zle_bindings.o
zle_hist.o zle_main.o zle_misc.o zle_move.o zle_refresh.o zle_tricky.o
zle_utils.o zle_vi.o zle_word.o -lnsl -ltermcap

generates the following warnings:

Warning: size of symbol `mult' changed from 4 to 284 in /lib/libmp.so.1
Warning: type of symbol `mult' changed from 1 to 2 in /lib/libmp.so.1

And the program will often dump core due to an illegal instruction
when searching command hash tables in a normal interactive incarnation
(works fine in a script, or in gdb (Yes, I know smart bugs can smell
programmer fear a mile a way)).

In light of that, the only other useful information I've found is by
doing a back trace on the core file in gdb. Doing so confirms that the
illegal instruction in question occurs in the mult() function, called
from the iscom() function (exec.c:388)

Being relatively new (read: forcibly dragged kicking and screaming) to
Solaris, I'm having some trouble with this, but under SunOS, (I would
assume its the same) this behavior would imply running out of memory,
or an illegal mult() operation.

The fact that I seem to be the only Solaris 2.5 user who's had this
problem disturbs me, and makes me look cross-eyed at our installation
of gcc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, by me as well as my co-workers,
most of whom are getting tired of listening to me swear up and down at
tcsh.

--------
Erik R. Ogan
Webmaster/Systems Editor
GALT Technologies, Inc.

* Re: zsh-2.5.03-2.6b17 under Solaris 2.5 trouble with mult()
@ 1996-05-08  5:34 ` Clive Messer
From: Clive Messer @ 1996-05-08  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Ogan; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Erik Ogan wrote:

> I just sub'ed yesterday, but I've poked around the archives and I
> haven't found anything that seems even remotely related to this
> problem.
>
> The following occurs on all of our Solaris 2.5 boxes for zsh versions
> 2.5.03 - 2.6b17 (ok, I didn't try EVERY beta...:) but does NOT occur
> under SunOS 4.1.x.
>
> Everything compiles fine, but in the when it (gcc-2.7.2) tries to link:
>
> gcc -o zsh builtin.o compat.o cond.o exec.o glob.o hashtable.o hist.o
> init.o input.o jobs.o lex.o linklist.o loop.o math.o mem.o params.o
> parse.o signals.o subst.o text.o utils.o watch.o zle_bindings.o
> zle_hist.o zle_main.o zle_misc.o zle_move.o zle_refresh.o zle_tricky.o
> zle_utils.o zle_vi.o zle_word.o -lnsl -ltermcap
>
> generates the following warnings:
>
> Warning: size of symbol `mult' changed from 4 to 284 in /lib/libmp.so.1
> Warning: type of symbol `mult' changed from 1 to 2 in /lib/libmp.so.1

Perhaps a conflict btwn local/global symbol.
Have you tried linking with -Wl,-warn-common ?

Clive.
--
C Messer. Epos Systems. UK.  |
<clive@epos.demon.co.uk>     |   "I pressed her thigh and death smiled."

* Re: zsh-2.5.03-2.6b17 under Solaris 2.5 trouble with mult()
@ 1996-05-10 20:49 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-05-10 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Ogan; +Cc: zsh-workers

> The following occurs on all of our Solaris 2.5 boxes for zsh versions
> 2.5.03 - 2.6b17 (ok, I didn't try EVERY beta...:) but does NOT occur
> under SunOS 4.1.x.
>
> Everything compiles fine, but in the when it (gcc-2.7.2) tries to link:
[...]
> generates the following warnings:
>
> Warning: size of symbol `mult' changed from 4 to 284 in /lib/libmp.so.1
> Warning: type of symbol `mult' changed from 1 to 2 in /lib/libmp.so.1

mult is used by zle and contains the numeric argument of zle commands.  No
C standard says that mult is a reserved variable I think.  Unfortunately
libmp.so.1 seems to use it.  It should have used something like __mult to
protect user programs.  mult is a quite innocent variable name and this
would mean that every application defining mult as an external symbol will
fail even it it did work under Solaris 2.4.  This is a serious bug in
Solaris.  Please report it to SUN.  I'll rename mult to something else in
the next beta anyway.

Bye,

Zoltan