zsh-workers
* 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-18 11:28 Daniel Shahaf
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2022-02-18 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

What needs to be done before we can start the process of releasing 5.9
off master?  It has been two years since 5.8.

Cheers,

Daniel

* Re: 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-21  9:20 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2022-02-21  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> On 18 February 2022 at 11:28 Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> What needs to be done before we can start the process of releasing 5.9
> off master?  It has been two years since 5.8.

For what it's worth, I can't think of anything that needs doing.  It may
be a question of getting a test release out to see if anything major
has changed that needs some further work.

pws

* Re: 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-21 13:56 ` dana
From: dana @ 2022-02-21 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: zsh-workers

Did you guys want to sort that VCS_Info escaping behaviour? If it's going to
potentially break stuff i guess a 'major' release would be the time to do it

@ 2022-02-21 16:48   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-02-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

We could ask Lawrence to do another "bug bumping" pass, if he has time.

* Re: 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-21 18:06     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-02-21 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 8:48 AM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:

> We could ask Lawrence to do another "bug bumping" pass, if he has time.

On that note, three that I've mentioned that got no responses at all:

49383 - Readonly specials and extra parameter attributes
49382 - zsh/db oddities
49375 - Redefining TRAPDEBUG causes loop?

We never came to a consensus on Marlon's suggested contrib.yo doc
changes, e.g. 48978 (though I no longer recall if that's actually the
most recent suggestion).

And the attempt to clean up zsh-newuser-install / provide alternate
setup examples similarly trickled to a stop without conclusion.

* Re: 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-21 19:38       ` Stephane Chazelas
From: Stephane Chazelas @ 2022-02-21 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

I have some "limit" (from November 2020) and "regexp-replace"
(from May 2021) patches that I need to rework after review, but
probably won't have the opportunity to work on that before 5.9,
sorry.

--
Stephane

* Re: 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-21 23:39     ` Lawrence Velázquez
From: Lawrence Velázquez @ 2022-02-21 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022, at 11:48 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> We could ask Lawrence to do another "bug bumping" pass, if he has time.

Sorry I haven't been able to do this in a while!  I've continued
to flag patch submissions though, so I should be able to produce a
list sometime in the next couple of days.

--
vq

* Re: 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-24 15:41 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2022-02-24 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 2/18/22, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> What needs to be done before we can start the process of releasing 5.9
> off master?  It has been two years since 5.8.

I uploaded a build of current git master to coverity, so if anyone is
bored, checking those reports could be helpful too. It claimed to find
12 new issues, while 6 old issues were fixed. (There are 99 untriaged
in total).

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-24 17:21   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-02-24 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 7:41 AM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I uploaded a build of current git master to coverity, so if anyone is
> bored, checking those reports could be helpful too.

Not exactly bored, but where to find that report?

* Re: 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-25  7:23     ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2022-02-25  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

On 2/24/22, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 7:41 AM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I uploaded a build of current git master to coverity, so if anyone is
>> bored, checking those reports could be helpful too.
>
> Not exactly bored, but where to find that report?

https://scan.coverity.com/projects/zsh

After you login there should be a View Defects button in the upper
right, you may need to be whitelisted to view them first.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: 5.9 blockers?
@ 2022-02-25 14:59       ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2022-02-25 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Mikael Magnusson wrote on Fri, 25 Feb 2022 07:23 +00:00:
> On 2/24/22, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 7:41 AM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I uploaded a build of current git master to coverity, so if anyone is
>>> bored, checking those reports could be helpful too.
>>
>> Not exactly bored, but where to find that report?
>
> https://scan.coverity.com/projects/zsh
>
> After you login there should be a View Defects button in the upper
> right, you may need to be whitelisted to view them first.

Could you document the existence of this somewhere?  E.g., Etc/creating-a-release.txt?

Cheers,

Daniel