* [9front] frontbase
@ 2024-02-18 17:22 Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-02-18 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

a bunch of years later, i've pushed minor changes to frontbase:

https://code.9front.org/hg/frontbase

- change default OBJTYPE to x86_64
- suggest CC = egcc for openbsd (otherwise it won't build)
- replace remaining mentions of "9base" with "frontbase"

for those who forgot, this is our fork of the final mercurial
commit of 9base. a few 9front tweaks and additions were made
(circa 2016), but it hasn't been touched since then.

the original intention was to have this track with 9front
changes to the base tools.

right now it doesn't build on openbsd with clang.

patches welcome.

sl

* Re: [9front] frontbase
@ 2024-02-18 20:29 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2024-02-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

and the sbase people aren't maintaining any version of this that would
work on bsd?

On 2/18/24, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
> a bunch of years later, i've pushed minor changes to frontbase:
>
> https://code.9front.org/hg/frontbase
>
> - change default OBJTYPE to x86_64
> - suggest CC = egcc for openbsd (otherwise it won't build)
> - replace remaining mentions of "9base" with "frontbase"
>
> for those who forgot, this is our fork of the final mercurial
> commit of 9base. a few 9front tweaks and additions were made
> (circa 2016), but it hasn't been touched since then.
>
> the original intention was to have this track with 9front
> changes to the base tools.
>
> right now it doesn't build on openbsd with clang.
>
> patches welcome.
>
> sl

* Re: [9front] frontbase
@ 2024-02-18 20:35   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-02-18 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On February 18, 2024 3:29:13 PM EST, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>and the sbase people aren't maintaining any version of this that would
>work on bsd?
>
>On 2/18/24, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
>> a bunch of years later, i've pushed minor changes to frontbase:
>>
>> https://code.9front.org/hg/frontbase
>>
>> - change default OBJTYPE to x86_64
>> - suggest CC = egcc for openbsd (otherwise it won't build)
>> - replace remaining mentions of "9base" with "frontbase"
>>
>> for those who forgot, this is our fork of the final mercurial
>> commit of 9base. a few 9front tweaks and additions were made
>> (circa 2016), but it hasn't been touched since then.
>>
>> the original intention was to have this track with 9front
>> changes to the base tools.
>>
>> right now it doesn't build on openbsd with clang.
>>
>> patches welcome.
>>
>> sl

no clue, does that still exist?

sl

* Re: [9front] frontbase
@ 2024-02-18 20:37     ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-02-18 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On February 18, 2024 3:35:52 PM EST, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
>On February 18, 2024 3:29:13 PM EST, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>>and the sbase people aren't maintaining any version of this that would
>>work on bsd?
>>
>>On 2/18/24, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
>>> a bunch of years later, i've pushed minor changes to frontbase:
>>>
>>> https://code.9front.org/hg/frontbase
>>>
>>> - change default OBJTYPE to x86_64
>>> - suggest CC = egcc for openbsd (otherwise it won't build)
>>> - replace remaining mentions of "9base" with "frontbase"
>>>
>>> for those who forgot, this is our fork of the final mercurial
>>> commit of 9base. a few 9front tweaks and additions were made
>>> (circa 2016), but it hasn't been touched since then.
>>>
>>> the original intention was to have this track with 9front
>>> changes to the base tools.
>>>
>>> right now it doesn't build on openbsd with clang.
>>>
>>> patches welcome.
>>>
>>> sl
>>>

>no clue, does that still exist?
>
>sl

i forgot, sbase has nothing to do with plan 9 tools.

sl

* Re: [9front] frontbase
@ 2024-02-18 20:43       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2024-02-18 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i forgot that suckless base tools and suckless 9base tools are
something distinct.
the last suckless 9base commits (from https://git.suckless.org/9base/) were

Date	Commit message	Author	Files	+	-
2019-09-11 22:46	hoc: Don't nest calls to follow() when lexing ++/+=
and --/-=	Evan Gates	1	+2	-2
2017-08-06 07:30	replaced sbrk() uses with malloc()	Anselm R Garbe	3	+13	-12
2017-06-07 15:58	ed: avoid name collision with libc's
getline.	Christopher Brannon	1	+1	-0

a lot more activity is happening in the original plan9port upstream:
https://github.com/9fans/plan9port/commits/master/

On 2/18/24, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
> On February 18, 2024 3:35:52 PM EST, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>
> wrote:
>>On February 18, 2024 3:29:13 PM EST, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>and the sbase people aren't maintaining any version of this that would
>>>work on bsd?

>>no clue, does that still exist?
>>
>>sl
>>

> i forgot, sbase has nothing to do with plan 9 tools.
>
> sl

* Re: [9front] frontbase
@ 2024-02-18 20:47         ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-02-18 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On February 18, 2024 3:43:11 PM EST, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>i forgot that suckless base tools and suckless 9base tools are
>something distinct.
>the last suckless 9base commits (from https://git.suckless.org/9base/) were
>
>Date	Commit message	Author	Files	+	-
>2019-09-11 22:46	hoc: Don't nest calls to follow() when lexing ++/+=
>and --/-=	Evan Gates	1	+2	-2
>2017-08-06 07:30	replaced sbrk() uses with malloc()	Anselm R Garbe	3	+13	-12
>2017-06-07 15:58	ed: avoid name collision with libc's
>getline.	Christopher Brannon	1	+1	-0
>
>a lot more activity is happening in the original plan9port upstream:
>https://github.com/9fans/plan9port/commits/master/
>
>On 2/18/24, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
>> On February 18, 2024 3:35:52 PM EST, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>
>> wrote:

>>>no clue, does that still exist?
>>>
>>>sl
>>>

>> i forgot, sbase has nothing to do with plan 9 tools.
>>
>> sl

yes. the point of frontbase was to track 9front changes.

sl