* [9front] Install to NVMe (MNT Reform)
@ 2024-04-12  6:31 alex-ml
From: alex-ml @ 2024-04-12  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello,

I have read about the installation of 9front on NVMe on
http://helpful.cat-v.org/Blog/2022/07/12/0/. Unfortunately, when I run
inst/start, there is only /dev/sdM0/ to choose from. On startup and when
I look at /dev and sysinfo, sdN0 is listed, so it should at least be
recognized. Is there a way to use this sdN0 to install 9front to?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Alex

* Re: [9front] Install to NVMe (MNT Reform)
@ 2024-04-12  7:29 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2024-04-12  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Hello,

> I have read about the installation of 9front on NVMe on
> http://helpful.cat-v.org/Blog/2022/07/12/0/. Unfortunately, when I run
> inst/start, there is only /dev/sdM0/ to choose from. On startup and when
> I look at /dev and sysinfo, sdN0 is listed, so it should at least be
> recognized. Is there a way to use this sdN0 to install 9front to?

try running "pci" command to see if the nvme drive shows up
on the pci bus.

iirc there where some nvme drives that had some issues with
the pcie controller of the mnt reform.

also, you have literally provided no information about the
system. like are there any error messages/prints maybe during
boot?

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] Install to NVMe (MNT Reform)
@ 2024-04-12  9:09   ` alex-ml
From: alex-ml @ 2024-04-12  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello cinap,

thank you very much. pci shows the following:

0.0.0:      brg    06.04.00  16c3/abcd  255
128.0.0:  brg    06.04.00  16c3/abcd  255
129.0.0:  disk   01.08.02  15b7/5019  0  0:20104004  16384  4:20100004
256

Unfortunately I do not understand this output, is there perhaps a
possible indication of such a problem with the pcie controller?

Please excuse the missing information: I am using the nightly build from
yesterday ("9front-10499.reform.img") and I have not noticed any error
messages (I do not see any warnings / error messages when booting).

On boot there are the following lines (regarding "sdN0"):
sdN (nvme): using 4 submit queues
/dev/sdN0: WDC WDS100T2B0C-00PX
/dev/sdN0/data

Is there any way to test the functionality of the controller?

Thank you very much and best regards,
Alex

@ 2024-04-12 10:00     ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2024-04-12 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

looks good:

129.0.0:  disk   01.08.02  15b7/5019  0  0:20104004  16384  4:20100004  256

also looks good:

On boot there are the following lines (regarding "sdN0"):
sdN (nvme): using 4 submit queues
/dev/sdN0: WDC WDS100T2B0C-00PX
/dev/sdN0/data

could it be that you just skipped some steps in the installation,
forgetting to partition the nvme drive?

and you went right to the mount step, and it only finds
the existing hjfs file-system on the emmc?

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] Install to NVMe (MNT Reform)
@ 2024-04-12 17:20       ` alex-ml
From: alex-ml @ 2024-04-12 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello cinap,

thank you very much! You were right, the failure was me skipping
"configfs" and "partdisk".

I'm sorry for the noise.

Best regards,
Alex

@ 2024-04-12 18:05         ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2024-04-12 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

no problem, man. i dont think this is noise.

the installer was written for a pc, but on these
new archs, we ship with a full plan9 file-system
on sdcard. this is fooling the installer
into thinking it is already being installed.

maybe we can improve this a bit, making the installer
aware which file-system is the source one.

--
cinap