* [9front] 9front man pages
@ 2024-03-08  4:47 eso
From: eso @ 2024-03-08  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I would like to improve 9front's documentation. We all know it's not
great. But those who are in the best position to rewrite them (those
most knowledgeable) see it as not worth their time, which is more than
justified. I am not a computer science professional, I'm just a writer.
Technology is a hobby for me. I cannot write you a filesystem, but maybe
I can write the documentation for it?
I'm willing to try and rewrite the documentation, and I can occasionally
check in with the heavy hitters to see if I'm straight. But first I want
to get some feedback on the objectives of a man page redux.
- Runtime options are listed for readability, like OpenBSD. You
shouldn't have to grep for the most basic information.
- Explanations of software usage should represent a typical 9front user
setup. You could argue that'd be a standalone machine, but I think the
appropriate model would be a local fs+auth server. No more Bell Labs
examples. None of us have that many gateways and nameservers. Nobody has
a gnot terminal. Nobody has a jukebox. And who is emelie? This would be
most relevant to section 8, system administration.
- Usage examples should not be exhaustive, but should cover the most
well-tread paths as far as usage. The first tar(1) man page example
should be extracting a tarball, because that’s what most people use tar
for day-to-day. And if you can imagine a crazy world where you aren't a
powerful technomancer, and thus don't have the tar options memorized,
you could imagine that would be what you'd go looking for in the manual
if you weren't sure. A dd(1) example should be something like cloning
drives, something people often use dd for.

I'd like to hear what others think. Also I was thinking this would just
cover system usage sections like userland, system administration, file
servers, etc. But if it goes well, maybe we can go beyond that. The last
patch I submitted, for acmed(8), Ori had some objections about my
phrasing. So it seems I could use some advisement. But for the record, I
have experience with technical writing.

My Best,

Verbose