The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: 386 PCC
@ 2024-03-25  9:32 Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2024-03-25  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angus Robinson, Jason Stevens; +Cc: TUHS main list

yeah that was the one that id' first mentioned.

Although I was more so interested in when/where the 386 PCC came from

Seems at best all those sources are locked away.

____

* [TUHS] Re: 386 PCC
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-03-25  9:17 ` Angus Robinson
From: Angus Robinson @ 2024-03-25  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Stevens; +Cc: TUHS main list

Is this it ?

https://web.archive.org/web/20071017025542/http://pcc.ludd.ltu.se/

Kind Regards,
Angus Robinson

On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 2:13 AM Jason Stevens <
jsteve@superglobalmegacorp.com> wrote:

> I'd been on this whole rabbithole exploration thing of those MIT PCC 8086
> uploads that have been on the site & on bitsavers, it had me wondering is
> there any version of PCC that targeted the 386?
>
> While rebuilding all the 8086 port stuff, and MIT PC/IP was fun, it'd be
> kind of interesting to see if anything that ancient could be forced to work
> with a DOS Extender..
>
> I know there was the Anders Magnusson one in 2007, although the site is now
> offline.  But surely there must have been another one between 1988/2007?
>
> Thanks!

* [TUHS] Re: 386 PCC
@ 2024-03-25  9:07 Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2024-03-25  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold, tuhs, jsteve

Not that I'm looking for drama but any idea what happened?

Such a shame it just evaporated.

____

* [TUHS] Re: 386 PCC
@ 2024-03-25  8:46 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2024-03-25  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, jsteve

@ 2024-03-24  2:34     ` Heinz Lycklama
From: Heinz Lycklama @ 2024-03-24  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Definitely PCC based. We used that for all of our
ports of the UNIX system to different computer
system architectures.

Heinz

On 3/23/2024 5:20 PM, Charles H Sauer (he/him) wrote:
> Yes, I'm all but certain that ISC SVR3 used pcc (unless Heinz
> contradicts). Dell SVR4 definitely had pcc, as well as 3(!) gcc
> versions
> https://notes.technologists.com/notes/2008/01/10/a-brief-history-of-dell-unix/
>
> On 3/23/2024 7:17 PM, Luther Johnson wrote:
>> I think it's a better than even chance that the C compilers in the first
>> versions of SCO and ISC Unix were based on PCC, you might look there.
>>
>> On 03/23/2024 05:13 PM, Jason Stevens wrote:
>>> I'd been on this whole rabbithole exploration thing of those MIT PCC
>>> 8086
>>> uploads that have been on the site & on bitsavers, it had me
>>> wondering is
>>> there any version of PCC that targeted the 386?
>>>
>>> While rebuilding all the 8086 port stuff, and MIT PC/IP was fun,
>>> it'd be
>>> kind of interesting to see if anything that ancient could be forced
>>> to work
>>> with a DOS Extender..
>>>
>>> I know there was the Anders Magnusson one in 2007, although the site
>>> is now
>>> offline.  But surely there must have been another one between
>>> 1988/2007?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

* [TUHS] Re: 386 PCC
@ 2024-03-24  2:00 ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2024-03-24  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Saturday, March 23rd, 2024 at 5:13 PM, Jason Stevens <jsteve@superglobalmegacorp.com> wrote:

> I'd been on this whole rabbithole exploration thing of those MIT PCC 8086
> uploads that have been on the site & on bitsavers, it had me wondering is
> there any version of PCC that targeted the 386?
>
> While rebuilding all the 8086 port stuff, and MIT PC/IP was fun, it'd be
> kind of interesting to see if anything that ancient could be forced to work
> with a DOS Extender..
>
> I know there was the Anders Magnusson one in 2007, although the site is now
> offline. But surely there must have been another one between 1988/2007?
>
> Thanks!

A cursory glance at the SVR4/386 SGS reveals some pcc fingerprints in the compiler bits at /usr/src/cmd/sgs/cg

For instance the machine-dependent bits are shunted off to files including local.c and local2.c, within these files exist similar entrypoints like lineid and zzzcode and arrays like rnames and ccbranches.  This is comparing with the version of pcc in V7.  I wasn't there so can't speak with authority but it does look like there is still pcc DNA as of SVR4/386.  Looking a bit further forward, this compiler seems to still be in use as of 1997's UnixWare aka "SVR5".

- Matt G.

* [TUHS] Re: 386 PCC
@ 2024-03-24  0:27     ` Charles H Sauer (he/him)
From: Charles H Sauer (he/him) @ 2024-03-24  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

AIX for 386 also was likely pcc.

--
voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer@technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/

* [TUHS] Re: 386 PCC
@ 2024-03-24  0:25   ` Luther Johnson
From: Luther Johnson @ 2024-03-24  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

As PCC (original version, not 2.0 or any of the Research Unix versions
after) was the compiler for BSD right up through 4.3, maybe some of the
early 386 BSDs used PCC too.

On 03/23/2024 05:17 PM, Luther Johnson wrote:
> I think it's a better than even chance that the C compilers in the first
> versions of SCO and ISC Unix were based on PCC, you might look there.
>
> On 03/23/2024 05:13 PM, Jason Stevens wrote:
>> I'd been on this whole rabbithole exploration thing of those MIT PCC
>> 8086
>> uploads that have been on the site & on bitsavers, it had me
>> wondering is
>> there any version of PCC that targeted the 386?
>>
>> While rebuilding all the 8086 port stuff, and MIT PC/IP was fun, it'd be
>> kind of interesting to see if anything that ancient could be forced
>> to work
>> with a DOS Extender..
>>
>> I know there was the Anders Magnusson one in 2007, although the site
>> is now
>> offline.  But surely there must have been another one between 1988/2007?
>>
>> Thanks!

* [TUHS] Re: 386 PCC
@ 2024-03-24  0:20   ` Charles H Sauer (he/him)
From: Charles H Sauer (he/him) @ 2024-03-24  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

--
voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer@technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/LinkedIn/Twitter: CharlesHSauer

* [TUHS] Re: 386 PCC
@ 2024-03-24  0:17 ` Luther Johnson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Luther Johnson @ 2024-03-24  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)