* [9fans] Newbie questions (setup problems)
@ 2000-06-26  9:02 PB
From: PB @ 2000-06-26  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello to everyone. I tried to install plan9 v3 on an IBM model 330
(sorry, I have no exact idea on what there is inside this machine)
but I had this answer:

(...)
root is from (blah blah): kfs...boot: nop...kfs...no physical memory
no physical memory
no physical memory
(etc)

Someone has any idea on what is the problem?

I also tried to install it on my homemade pc, but alas it has an
unsupported Matrox G200. No solution other than changing
the card?

Thank you in advance

Pietro

------------
To answer take your filthy hands out of my address.

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions (setup problems)
@ 2000-06-26 11:32 ` Randolph Fritz
From: Randolph Fritz @ 2000-06-26 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 09:02:02AM +0000, PB wrote:
> Hello to everyone. I tried to install plan9 v3 on an IBM model 330
> (sorry, I have no exact idea on what there is inside this machine)
> but I had this answer:
>
> (...)
> root is from (blah blah): kfs...boot: nop...kfs...no physical memory
> no physical memory
> no physical memory
> (etc)
>
> Someone has any idea on what is the problem?

Probably you need more memory; that's what it turned out to be when I
saw that message a few days ago.

--
Randolph Fritz
Eugene, Oregon, USA

* Re: [9fans] Newbie questions (setup problems)
@ 2000-06-26 13:04   ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2000-06-26 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Until Plan 9 is installed and can establish a swap partition,
physical memory is all it has.

@ 2000-06-26 13:41 David Butler
From: David Butler @ 2000-06-26 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If the system says "no physical memory", try setting in plan9.ini:

*kernelpercent=40

If you are using 640x480x8 try even less like 20.