* Re: [9fans] off topic: troff book
@ 2000-08-19 21:44 Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-19 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I didn't switch to tex when it came out because it just seemed like
>the same thing packaged differently.  It didn't seem like an
>improvement.  As time has passed, I have come to understand that it
>does equations better, which many people care about, and is free,
>which many people care about.  Those are its advantages.

'bout sums it up from what i realised when i had to write a paper
using latex.  what does it give me except another tedious interface
with a lot of formating noise?  what value does it add?

after reading lamport's book i decided he didn't understand
the problem.  hence, my earlier comment, fueled a bit by
the member or research staff / member of technical staff
woes (i was an MTS).

* [9fans] off topic: troff book
@ 2000-12-27 19:26 James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-12-27 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone here read Unix Document Processing and Typesetting by
B. Srinivasan? If so, would you recommend it?  The only other book I've
seen which talks about troff is The UNIX Programming Environment, and I'm
interested in seeing what others have to say about the troff/tbl/eqn/pic
typesetting environment.

Jim

* Re:[9fans] off topic: troff book
@ 2001-01-02 10:54 steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2001-01-02 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Unix Document Processing and Typesetting by
> B. Srinivasan?

Yep, I read this rears ago - I saw a copy for review as I remember,
it seemed good but, I still come back to the Edition 7 Vol2,
especially now its available online.

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] off topic: troff book
@ 2001-01-07 15:17 rob pike
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: rob pike @ 2001-01-07 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I didn't switch to tex when it came out because it just seemed like
the same thing packaged differently.  It didn't seem like an
improvement.  As time has passed, I have come to understand that it
does equations better, which many people care about, and is free,
which many people care about.  Those are its advantages.  It also has
many disadvantages, including a screwy chatty user interface and a
serious misjudgement about how fonts should work, which saddles it
with very few fonts - until recently, only one - which is, in turn,
certainly the ugliest book font that ever got widespread use.  Latex
extended this mistake into the same story about layout, so that today
90% of the technical books and papers in the world look exactly the
same: grey, unbalanced, and drab, like an oil painting done by a rank
amateur.

Because this at one level so unimportant, but at another is the entire
point of the exercise - why create a layout language that produces
only one layout; why create a font language if only one person
in the world can use it to make a font - it rankles.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] off topic: troff book
@ 2001-01-08 10:29 John A. Murdie
From: John A. Murdie @ 2001-01-08 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, john

Rob Pike writes:
>I didn't switch to tex when it came out because it just seemed like
>the same thing packaged differently. ... It also has
>many disadvantages, including a screwy chatty user interface

I find this the most immediate unpleasantness of TeX.

>As time has passed, I have come to understand that it
>does equations better,

The LaTeX format (layout) has (macro) packages for a wider range of
equations, but I still find troff's eqn much easier to read and write.
In fact, I think the best part of the troff approach is the use of little
languages by preprocessor, and the worst thing about troff is its use of
interrupt-like traps. If you've written a troff macro package, I think
you'll know that more than expected care is necessary to get trap use right.

Some kind of (procedural markup?) programming language is necessary in
a typesetting system. I often wonder whether something like pic with
better text primitives, and galleying (pagination) functionality, would be
a better approach. Yes, I know, I should make time to experiment.

>Because this at one level so unimportant, but at another is the entire
>point of the exercise - why create a layout language that produces
>only one layout; why create a font language if only one person
>in the world can use it to make a font - it rankles.

Yes, though there are other TeX formats (layouts), such as CONTeXT,
LaTeX is almost universally used. Most effort seems to be put into
writing extra packages for use with the LaTeX format. There is some
use of MetaFont for specification of special symbols, but the TeX
world seems to be moving away from the use of bitmap fonts generated
from MetaFonts and towards the use of commercially-provided PostScript
or TrueType typefaces.

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York
England

* Re: [9fans] off topic: troff book
@ 2001-01-08 15:17 John A. Murdie
From: John A. Murdie @ 2001-01-08 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, john

 Mark C. Otto writes:
>A package that seems to build on both troff and TeX is lout,

I've followed lout almost since day one. It's very nicely written,
and I've never had any problems installing it on various Unix
derivatives. Try notating a diagram in its pic-equivalent language,
however, and I think you'll find that it's far less elegant. This
is a result of it using a general applicative language style instead
of a little language.