* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 16:45 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-23 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this seems dated to me #w, #H and #b no longer
exist and the install is now quite different.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 17:01 ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2009-02-23 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's got a whole chapter on alef, and the UI is still in B/W.
Definitly for an older edition of Plan 9.

'Tis a shame there's absolutley no attribution to be found. I wonder
who wrote the book? Seems to be quite readable.

Robby

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 21:11   ` michael block
From: michael block @ 2009-02-23 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:01, Robert Raschke <rtrlists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 'Tis a shame there's absolutley no attribution to be found. I wonder
> who wrote the book? Seems to be quite readable.

pdfinfo sheds some light on the subject:

Title:          P9.pdf
Author:         Wellhoefer
Creator:        PScript5.dll Version 5.2
Producer:       Acrobat Distiller 5.0 (Windows)
CreationDate:   Mon Aug 21 20:32:06 2006
ModDate:        Mon Aug 21 20:32:06 2006
Tagged:         no
Pages:          237
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      595 x 842 pts (A4)
File size:      1279189 bytes
Optimized:      yes
PDF version:    1.3

googling "wellhoefer plan 9" found this on wikipedia:

German book about Plan 9: Hans-Peter Bischof, Gunter Imeyer, Bernhard
Wellhöfer (born as Kühl), Axel-Tobias Schreiner: Das
Netzbetriebssystem Plan 9. 1999, ISBN 3-446-18881-9. The book is out
of print, but available for free at the print-on-demand service
provider Lulu.com.

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 21:30     ` john
From: john @ 2009-02-23 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:01, Robert Raschke <rtrlists@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 'Tis a shame there's absolutley no attribution to be found. I wonder
>> who wrote the book? Seems to be quite readable.
>
> pdfinfo sheds some light on the subject:
>
> Title:          P9.pdf
> Author:         Wellhoefer
> Creator:        PScript5.dll Version 5.2
> Producer:       Acrobat Distiller 5.0 (Windows)
> CreationDate:   Mon Aug 21 20:32:06 2006
> ModDate:        Mon Aug 21 20:32:06 2006
> Tagged:         no
> Pages:          237
> Encrypted:      no
> Page size:      595 x 842 pts (A4)
> File size:      1279189 bytes
> Optimized:      yes
> PDF version:    1.3
>
> googling "wellhoefer plan 9" found this on wikipedia:
>
> German book about Plan 9: Hans-Peter Bischof, Gunter Imeyer, Bernhard
> Wellhöfer (born as Kühl), Axel-Tobias Schreiner: Das
> Netzbetriebssystem Plan 9. 1999, ISBN 3-446-18881-9. The book is out
> of print, but available for free at the print-on-demand service
> provider Lulu.com.

Yeah, looking at it I was thinking that the only Plan 9 book I know of
in German was co-authored by Axel Schreiner, who teaches at my school
:)

Now if only I could read German...

John Floren

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-24  8:56 ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-02-24  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/2/23, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com>:
> this seems dated to me #w, #H and #b no longer
>  exist and the install is now quite different.
>

>  - erik

The book seems rather old and somehow outdated, but I think (meaning
hope, since my german goes as far as knowing what a maulesel is) that
the main design ideas are there.
I really don't expect him to read it, but maybe he does, and he can
end up like me (hopefully better than me) lurking around 9fans to get
some knowledge out of it.

--

Hugo

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-25  7:30   ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-02-25  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Great, thanks.

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-24 19:52 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2009-02-24 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yeah right... We all make mistakes... Not to think of hardware failures!
I'v just made a backup of that file for you in case you loose it ok? ;-)

You can feel mutch more secure now!

--
cinap

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2253 bytes --]

From: hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] spreding the word
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:41:05 +0100

@ 2009-02-24  3:11 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-24  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anothy, 9fans

> the whole streams idea is really educational. nonet was neat. having
> datakit code in there made the network transparency feel a bit more
> real (different world, i know).

streams also exist in unix.  i find it very educational that
plan 9 does well without streams.

queue quote from the little prince.

it would be intersting to introduce an ip-peer protocol,
if only for educational purposes.  xns would be usable
on regular ethernet equipment.  unfortuantely there
are many things that need to get done more.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-24  2:53       ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-02-24  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

correction: i think nonet was out of the official distribution by 2e.
still neat.

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-24  2:03     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-02-24  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik wrote:
// i can't think of any advantages of 2e over 4e.  perhaps others disagree.

not "advantages", no, but there are bits and pieces that were
interesting ideas, even if they didn't pan out, that are overlooked.

the whole streams idea is really educational. nonet was neat. having
datakit code in there made the network transparency feel a bit more
real (different world, i know).

i often wish GraphicsMagick or ImageMagick were as easy to use as the fb tools.

oh, and since there's some people on this list at a company that makes
a map program: 2e's 'roads' was great. being able to specify a
particular road or roads and have only those displayed was super
useful. i'd love to see that in a certain map-like program.

still, you'd give up a lot to go back in time. better to identify any
bits worth the effort and bring them forward.

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 22:20       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-23 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me, 9fans

On Mon Feb 23 17:02:29 EST 2009, me@acm.jhu.edu wrote:
> >if you're after the historical progression of how the
> >structure of the kernel evolved, the file server kernel
> >is much more interesting.
>
> Any bits in particular? Any reason why?

port/proc.c is very interesting, as are pc/lock.c
and pc/trap.c.

they are all very interesting as they illustrate
the same concepts the pc kernel deals with, but
they are substatially simplier.  i fear i've complicated
things a bit.  hardware is more complicated these
days.

naturally, the fs kernel is less capable.  it lacks
dynamic memory, for example.  but the beauty
is that it doesn't need those things.  i think it's
an interesting study in tradeoffs.

einstein said "make everything as simple as
possible, but not simpler".  i think ken's take
is that if it's not simple enough, you're solving
the wrong problem.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 21:59     ` Venkatesh Srinivas
From: Venkatesh Srinivas @ 2009-02-23 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>if you're after the historical progression of how the
>structure of the kernel evolved, the file server kernel
>is much more interesting.

Any bits in particular? Any reason why?

-- vs

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 21:54   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-23 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-02-23 21:51       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-23 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wes, 9fans

> > relax.  it would take 583166 of these messages to
> > fill a tb drive.  tb drives go for about $100 these days.
> >
> > - erik
>
> I forgot the smileys :-) :-)

i guess we're even then.  i forgot my sense of humor today.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 21:47     ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2009-02-23 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Mon Feb 23 12:20:19 EST 2009, wes@authentrus.com wrote:
>> hugo rivera wrote:
>>> Hi Maulesel,
>>> I just ran into this book and I am sending it to you for two reasons:
>>> 1.- It's in german.
>>> 2.- It's about Plan 9.
>> 3. You sell hard drives to server operators for a living.
>
> relax.  it would take 583166 of these messages to
> fill a tb drive.  tb drives go for about $100 these days.
>
> - erik

I forgot the smileys :-) :-)

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 21:44 ` Christian Walther
From: Christian Walther @ 2009-02-23 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello Hugo,

2009/2/23 hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com>:
> Well,
> I made an obvious mistake and sent the last email to the wrong address.
> I apologize for that.

Some mistakes can be usefull, at least for other people. ;-)
In my case I welcome your mistake, because I didn't know that a german
document covering Plan 9 exists. Plan 9 is fascinating, but
understanding the documents can be quite difficult. At least it was
for me as a non native speaker. This is why I keep on lurking around
on this list, gathering information mostly, instead of working with
Plan 9.
This document might be old and even outdated to some degree, but I
guess it's still worth reading.
It would be great to have the source of the book, maybe it would be
worth it to create a community based 2nd release. But I guess with all
the copyright issues involved this will be next to impossible.

Cheers
Christian Walther

* Re: [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 18:57   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-23 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-02-23 17:18 ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2009-02-23 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hugo rivera wrote:
> Hi Maulesel,
> I just ran into this book and I am sending it to you for two reasons:
> 1.- It's in german.
> 2.- It's about Plan 9.

3. You sell hard drives to server operators for a living.

* [9fans] spreding the word
@ 2009-02-23 15:41 hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-02-23 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs