* [9fans] Can't boot after R4 install
@ 2002-05-03 10:37 Tom Olson
From: Tom Olson @ 2002-05-03 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had R3 installed in a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop. When I created a
floppy and booted it, I got a continous stream of console messages of
the format: "Selection:                     line to long"
right after 2 "pc routing" messages. I got a new floppy, rewrote the
install floppy, booted fine. Completed the install, made a boot disk,
and set the system to boot plan9 from hard drive.

When I reooted, I got the same messages as above, either booting from
the hard drive or boot disk. Has anyone seen this before? Any
suggestions? I suspected my plan9.ini file, but did not see anything
very obvious.

*nomp=1
distname=plan9
partition=new
nobootprompt=local!/bzroot
#console=0
ether0=type=EC2T
monitor=xga
vgasize=1024x768x8
mouseport=ps2
audio0=type=ess1688
bootfile=fd0!dos!9pcflop.gz
installurl=http://204.178.31.2/magic/9down4e/compressed/1020373303.h9p3adctpaegjeseyn8ywqcgctzue69d

* Re: [9fans] Can't boot after R4 install
@ 2002-05-03 17:24 ` Thomas West
From: Thomas West @ 2002-05-03 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had similar problems in an otherwise slick installation on top of 3e.

I think the first two lines of plan9.ini on a boot floppy are what cleared
the problem.
Of course you'll want to use sdXX appropriate to your setup.

root=local!#S/sdD0/fs
bootfile=sdD0!9fat!9pcdisk
bootdisk=local!#S/sdD0/fs
*nomp=1
distname=plan9
partition=new
#console=0
scsi0=type=aha1542 port=0x330
ether0=type=NE2000 port=0x1020 irq=5
monitor=multisync75
vgasize=800x600x8
mouseport=ps2
installurl=http://204.178.31.2/magic/9down4e/compressed/1020197808.2wg3i6yb9
7jzxf4feki7wx7gra9tpiqb

> I had R3 installed in a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop. When I created a
> floppy and booted it, I got a continous stream of console messages of
> the format: "Selection:                     line to long"
> right after 2 "pc routing" messages. I got a new floppy, rewrote the
> install floppy, booted fine. Completed the install, made a boot disk,
> and set the system to boot plan9 from hard drive.
>
> When I reooted, I got the same messages as above, either booting from
> the hard drive or boot disk. Has anyone seen this before? Any
> suggestions? I suspected my plan9.ini file, but did not see anything
> very obvious.
>
> *nomp=1
> distname=plan9
> partition=new
> nobootprompt=local!/bzroot
> #console=0
> ether0=type=EC2T
> monitor=xga
> vgasize=1024x768x8
> mouseport=ps2
> audio0=type=ess1688
> bootfile=fd0!dos!9pcflop.gz

installurl=http://204.178.31.2/magic/9down4e/compressed/1020373303.h9p3adctp
aegjeseyn8ywqcgctzue69d

* [9fans] Re: Can't boot after R4 install
@ 2002-05-07 11:32 ` Tom Olson
From: Tom Olson @ 2002-05-07 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Tom Olson <tjolson@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message news:<1260c5bb.0205021655.7d5d8207@posting.google.com>...
> I had R3 installed in a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop. When I created a
> floppy and booted it, I got a continous stream of console messages of
> the format: "Selection:                     line to long"
> right after 2 "pc routing" messages. I got a new floppy, rewrote the
> install floppy, booted fine. Completed the install, made a boot disk,
> and set the system to boot plan9 from hard drive.
>
> When I reooted, I got the same messages as above, either booting from
> the hard drive or boot disk. Has anyone seen this before? Any
> suggestions? I suspected my plan9.ini file, but did not see anything
> very obvious.
>
> *nomp=1
> distname=plan9
> partition=new
> nobootprompt=local!/bzroot
> #console=0
> ether0=type=EC2T
> monitor=xga
> vgasize=1024x768x8
> mouseport=ps2
> audio0=type=ess1688
> bootfile=fd0!dos!9pcflop.gz
> installurl=http://204.178.31.2/magic/9down4e/compressed/1020373303.h9p3adctpaegjeseyn8ywqcgctzue69d

I was able to boot off of the boot floppy, with none of the messages
above, by changing PLAN9INI.BAK to plan9.ini. Once in, I glanced at
plan9.ini in 9fat, saw the multiple stanzas for release 3 and 4, and
decided it was time for bed. I need to take a closer look at the
plan9.ini, but can I get rid of the release 3 stanzas, without any
harm?

Thanks,
Tom

* Re: [9fans] Can't boot after R4 install
@ 2002-05-03 14:45 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-03 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

west9@worldnet.att.net:
> I think the first two lines of plan9.ini on a boot floppy are what cleared
> the problem.
> Of course you'll want to use sdXX appropriate to your setup.

That seems likely, but those lines should have been there already.

tjolson@bellatlantic.net:
> nobootprompt=local!/bzroot
> bootfile=fd0!dos!9pcflop.gz

This looks like the install floppy plan9.ini.
Is this really the plan9.ini on your hard drive?

Try disabling the ethernet and usb probes, although
I doubt that will fix the problem.

	*nousbprobe=
	*noetherprobe=

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Can't boot after R4 install
@ 2002-05-03 11:59 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-05-03 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tjolson, 9fans

sounds like we're screwing up reading the keyboard, i.e., we're
seeing a continuous stream of characters in 9load.

It also seems like we're finding a different plan9.ini than
you included in the message.  The Selection: prompt appears
only if you have a [menu] directive in the plan9.ini.  I forget
the exact ordering of where we get plan9.ini from these days.
I do know that we look first on the floppy, and then in some
order on the DOS partition for the hard disk and in the 9fat
partition on the hard disk.  Do you have another plan9.ini
hiding somewhere from a previous version of plan 9?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2380 bytes --]