* [9fans] seemail/faces
@ 2001-11-30 11:14 Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-11-30 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

HelpHas anyone ported this to X11 with libXg?

It looks pretty straightforward, but with X11
you never know.  Installing the X11 faces has
absolutely no appeal (to me) whatsoever.

Although, nicking its icons might have.

* Re: [9fans] seemail/faces
@ 2001-11-30 11:24 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-11-30 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> HelpHas anyone ported this to X11 with libXg?

Where the 'HelpHas' came from is a mystery to me.

Hmm, looking at Outlook' 'sent' folder I see the damage
had set in there.  I think it must be approaching
critical mass.

* Re: [9fans] seemail/faces
@ 2001-11-30 20:14 ` Steve Kilbane
From: Steve Kilbane @ 2001-11-30 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Installing the X11 faces has
> absolutely no appeal (to me) whatsoever.

Why not, pray? Its use implies you've already got X11 and all the
gunk that goes with it. Xfaces, behemoth though it might be, just
sits in the corner and renders pixels. Big deal. Turn off all the
rubbish about audio, animation, shaped images and about half a
million image formats, and just display what's in your mailbox.
It's not as if you need to *interact* with it.

steve

* Re: [9fans] seemail/faces
@ 2001-12-01  5:06   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-12-01  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Why not, pray? Its use implies you've already got X11 and all the
> gunk that goes with it. Xfaces, behemoth though it might be, just
> sits in the corner and renders pixels. Big deal. Turn off all the
> rubbish about audio, animation, shaped images and about half a
> million image formats, and just display what's in your mailbox.
> It's not as if you need to *interact* with it.

These are exactly the reasons I do not want it.

It's the emacs school of thought.

I've suffered enough, putting up faces.

faces/seemail is a much smaller, cooler piece of code.

It also lets me test libXg, which could be productive
for people who want to run plan 9 stuff on X11.

This is user mode, not linux kernel, build it all
in and then compress it.

Simple is good.  Simple works.

    Turkish: Did you understand one word of what he just said?