* Re: [9fans] nvram etc
@ 2000-08-01 20:31 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-01 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you're talking about the install process,
the only reason it uses an nvram file is so
that there is no prompt for a user name and
password, as would be the case if we had
used a terminal kernel.  One less thing to
worry about having to explain in the
installation documents.

Once you've installed, the terminal doesn't
use the nvram at all.  I don't really understand
what the problem is.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] nvram etc
@ 2000-08-01 20:38 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-01 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-01 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Russ Cox <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com>

> If you want to build your own, you've got all the pieces.  :)

maybe i hacked too many kernels to hack another :)

* Re: [9fans] nvram etc
@ 2000-08-01 20:55 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-01 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yeah, I didn't plan far enough ahead to
such situations.  It was a failure of vision.
There should be a way to install off a hard
disk too.  My apologies.  If you want to
build your own, you've got all the pieces.  :)

Russ

* [9fans] nvram etc
@ 2000-08-01 20:10 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-08-01 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

why does the pc install depend on all this serious auth stuff?
i can understand that you want maintain a small code base, but
from a base level install who cares about all that auth nonsense.

look at kfscmd.

--
Boyd Roberts                                 boyd@psycho-basket-case.org

    But I doubt if our present system [U.S. Army] will produce such
    an individual.  They are too: _abrasive_, opinionated, undiplomatic,
    nonconformist, and effective.

        -- Colonel David H. Hackworth (U.S. Army, Ret.)