* [9fans] some problems
@ 2001-08-26 20:04 geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-26 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have my basic install up and running, using Nick Waples' nvidia enabled
kernel, and now I'm trying to add printer, networking etc.

Problem 1 happens when I add "ether0=type=elnk3" to plan9.ini. On reboot,
ip/ipconfig (from termrc) reports a DHCP timeout, then nothing. Only way
out (as far as I can tell) is contr-alt-del or powerswitch. (The NIC is a
3c905B-TX, connected to another system through a crossover cable (no hub).
The other system isn't currently running. I don't really want to use DHCP
anyway, maybe I should edit the ndb before activating the NIC ??)

Problem 2 happens when I remove "*nomp=1" from plan9.ini. On reboot both
CPU's are activated, but the system hangs, with error:
mpintrenable: multiple enable irq 15, tbdf 5000000
intrenable: couldn't enable irq 15, tbdf 0xC007100 for sd1 (53c8xx)
(My SCSI-controller is 53c1010, dual channel. Both channels share interrupt
15 in single CPU mode without ill effects.)

Problem 3 happens after either of the previous ones: I revert to the
original plan9.ini, but any subsequent reboot still hangs after the line:
ndb/dns: can't read my ip address
Also in these cases there is a long delay two lines earlier, between:
"kfs...boot: nop..." and "time...".
Maybe this is caused by some corruption of the 9fat partition, because the
only way I have found to fix this is by booting from the install floppy and
rerunning bootsetup, thus reinitializing the 9fat partition.

I hope someone can help me.

Geerten

* Re: [9fans] some problems
@ 2001-08-26 21:04 ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2001-08-26 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

geerten kuiper wrote:

> I have my basic install up and running, using Nick Waples' nvidia enabled
> kernel, and now I'm trying to add printer, networking etc.
>
> Problem 1 happens when I add "ether0=type=elnk3" to plan9.ini. On reboot,
> ip/ipconfig (from termrc) reports a DHCP timeout, then nothing. Only way
> out (as far as I can tell) is contr-alt-del or powerswitch. (The NIC is a
> 3c905B-TX, connected to another system through a crossover cable (no hub).
> The other system isn't currently running. I don't really want to use DHCP
> anyway, maybe I should edit the ndb before activating the NIC ??)

If you're not using (or don't want to use) DHCP then you'll have to
explicitly supply the IP address of the system.  Try editing termrc and
change the ipconfig line:

ip/ipconfig ether /net/ether0 <your-ip-address>

See the man page for ipconfig(8) for more details.

> Problem 2 happens when I remove "*nomp=1" from plan9.ini. On reboot both
> CPU's are activated, but the system hangs, with error:
> mpintrenable: multiple enable irq 15, tbdf 5000000
> intrenable: couldn't enable irq 15, tbdf 0xC007100 for sd1 (53c8xx)
> (My SCSI-controller is 53c1010, dual channel. Both channels share interrupt
> 15 in single CPU mode without ill effects.)

Sorry, can't help you here.

> Problem 3 happens after either of the previous ones: I revert to the
> original plan9.ini, but any subsequent reboot still hangs after the line:
> ndb/dns: can't read my ip address
> Also in these cases there is a long delay two lines earlier, between:
> "kfs...boot: nop..." and "time...".
> Maybe this is caused by some corruption of the 9fat partition, because the
> only way I have found to fix this is by booting from the install floppy and
> rerunning bootsetup, thus reinitializing the 9fat partition.

Presumably, once you get the IP address configuration sorted out, this
will go away.  And if you have a stand-alone system without networking,
you shouldn't be running dns anyway.

> I hope someone can help me.

I hope I have.

> Geerten

Martin

* Re: [9fans] some problems
@ 2001-08-29  9:04   ` geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-29  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Martin Harriss <martin@princeton.edu> schreef in artikel
<3B89644D.7B299843@princeton.edu>...
> geerten kuiper wrote:
> >
> > The other system isn't currently running. I don't really want to use
DHCP
> > anyway, maybe I should edit the ndb before activating the NIC ??)
>
> If you're not using (or don't want to use) DHCP then you'll have to
> explicitly supply the IP address of the system.  Try editing termrc and
> change the ipconfig line:
>
> ip/ipconfig ether /net/ether0 <your-ip-address>
>
> See the man page for ipconfig(8) for more details.

Yes, I'll keep trying on this. Riight now the networking isn't urgent, but
the other system is an Alpha PC164, which is supposed to run Plan9 as well.
Eventually I will want to try that..

- (skipping problem 2)

> > Problem 3 happens after either of the previous ones: I revert to the
> > original plan9.ini, but any subsequent reboot still hangs after the
line:
> > ndb/dns: can't read my ip address
> > Also in these cases there is a long delay two lines earlier, between:
> > "kfs...boot: nop..." and "time...".
> > Maybe this is caused by some corruption of the 9fat partition, because
the
> > only way I have found to fix this is by booting from the install floppy
and
> > rerunning bootsetup, thus reinitializing the 9fat partition.
>
> Presumably, once you get the IP address configuration sorted out, this
> will go away.  And if you have a stand-alone system without networking,
> you shouldn't be running dns anyway.

It's a bit more subtle than that I'm afraid. The problem isn't with
networking: the dns line appears exactly the same during a normal boot, and
dns is the last networking thing in termrc.
The strange thing is that this hang occurs with exactly the same config
that worked before. Only difference is that in between I had
a problem (1 or 2 above, or anything else) which forced me to do an
improper shutdown.
This makes experimenting with the plan9.ini settings rather risky: when
things go wrong it takes up to five (!) reboots just to get back to where I
started.

BTW, I noticed that the original plan9.ini on the install floppy is padded
to exactly 512 bytes. Should I keep it that way ?

Geerten

* Re: [9fans] some problems
@ 2001-08-29 13:47 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-08-29 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The original plan9.ini is padded to 512 bytes
to make it easy to edit disk images on the fly
when we send them to you -- we can edit just
that sector and not worry about changing the
length in the DOS directory structure.  You
needn't worry about keeping it at 512 bytes.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] some problems
@ 2001-08-27  3:48 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-08-27  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Aug 26 16:04:40 EDT 2001, geerten@bart.nl wrote:
> Problem 2 happens when I remove "*nomp=1" from plan9.ini. On reboot both
> CPU's are activated, but the system hangs, with error:
> mpintrenable: multiple enable irq 15, tbdf 5000000
> intrenable: couldn't enable irq 15, tbdf 0xC007100 for sd1 (53c8xx)
> (My SCSI-controller is 53c1010, dual channel. Both channels share interrupt
> 15 in single CPU mode without ill effects.)

There is soemthing screwy with the MP table presented by the BIOS
(or in our interpretation of it). Intel used to provide a programme
(mps_bchk.exe) to run under DOS to check the table and print it out.
I will send you a copy separately. The output of that (with the -v
flag) and a dump of the PCI bus devices (/bin/pci?) would help in
analysing the problem.