* [9fans] some problems
@ 2001-08-26 20:04 geerten kuiper
From: geerten kuiper @ 2001-08-26 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have my basic install up and running, using Nick Waples' nvidia enabled
kernel, and now I'm trying to add printer, networking etc.

Problem 1 happens when I add "ether0=type=elnk3" to plan9.ini. On reboot,
ip/ipconfig (from termrc) reports a DHCP timeout, then nothing. Only way
out (as far as I can tell) is contr-alt-del or powerswitch. (The NIC is a
3c905B-TX, connected to another system through a crossover cable (no hub).
The other system isn't currently running. I don't really want to use DHCP
anyway, maybe I should edit the ndb before activating the NIC ??)

Problem 2 happens when I remove "*nomp=1" from plan9.ini. On reboot both
CPU's are activated, but the system hangs, with error:
mpintrenable: multiple enable irq 15, tbdf 5000000
intrenable: couldn't enable irq 15, tbdf 0xC007100 for sd1 (53c8xx)
(My SCSI-controller is 53c1010, dual channel. Both channels share interrupt
15 in single CPU mode without ill effects.)

Problem 3 happens after either of the previous ones: I revert to the
original plan9.ini, but any subsequent reboot still hangs after the line:
ndb/dns: can't read my ip address
Also in these cases there is a long delay two lines earlier, between:
"kfs...boot: nop..." and "time...".
Maybe this is caused by some corruption of the 9fat partition, because the
only way I have found to fix this is by booting from the install floppy and
rerunning bootsetup, thus reinitializing the 9fat partition.

I hope someone can help me.

Geerten

* Re: [9fans] some problems
@ 2001-08-27  3:48 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-08-27  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Aug 26 16:04:40 EDT 2001, geerten@bart.nl wrote:
> Problem 2 happens when I remove "*nomp=1" from plan9.ini. On reboot both
> CPU's are activated, but the system hangs, with error:
> mpintrenable: multiple enable irq 15, tbdf 5000000
> intrenable: couldn't enable irq 15, tbdf 0xC007100 for sd1 (53c8xx)
> (My SCSI-controller is 53c1010, dual channel. Both channels share interrupt
> 15 in single CPU mode without ill effects.)

There is soemthing screwy with the MP table presented by the BIOS
(or in our interpretation of it). Intel used to provide a programme
(mps_bchk.exe) to run under DOS to check the table and print it out.
I will send you a copy separately. The output of that (with the -v
flag) and a dump of the PCI bus devices (/bin/pci?) would help in
analysing the problem.

* Re: [9fans] some problems
@ 2001-08-29 13:47 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-08-29 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The original plan9.ini is padded to 512 bytes
to make it easy to edit disk images on the fly
when we send them to you -- we can edit just
that sector and not worry about changing the
length in the DOS directory structure.  You
needn't worry about keeping it at 512 bytes.

Russ