* Re: [9fans] nvram
@ 2000-09-06 23:21 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-09-06 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The nvram is necessary for the install because
I had two choices that didn't involve changing
the kernel boot process: talk (human) installers
through typing a user name and password, or
provide an nvram file so that that particular
prompt goes away.

Since the disk is also being used to do things
like save the state of a partial install, squirrel
away VGA debugging information, and keep the vgadb
somewhere that is easily editable from a non-Plan 9
operating system, the nvram being on the floppy
is but the tip of this particular iceberg.

Russ

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1729 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@planete.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] nvram
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 00:47:35 +0200

why is the nvram necessary for the install?  given it's
an install there is no nvram, or if there is it contains
garbage.

i think i know why.

* [9fans] nvram
@ 2009-07-28 17:58 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2009-07-28 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Okay, it's authsrv(2) that describes the nvram search sequence. And for
whatever reason I had it in my head that these days it was possible to
grab the nvram across the wire, which in hindsight makes no sense
whatsoever. And now that I think about it, my last (2ed) 'diskless' CPU
server had a floppy drive in it for this very reason ...

Doncha just love PC hardware?

--lyndon

* [9fans] nvram
@ 2005-05-12 14:48 Sergey Reva
From: Sergey Reva @ 2005-05-12 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello Fans,

Just now got interesting idea! Asked google about SPD, and...

> This is the html version of the file http://www.jedec.org/download/search/4_01_02_00R9.PDF.
> G o o g l e automatically generates html versions of documents as we crawl the web.
> To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:CLoDZ6X6gAIJ:www.jedec.org/download/search/4_01_02_00R9.PDF+SPD+memory+map&hl=en
> 5.10 Bytes 128-255: System Integrators specific information: The system integrator may
> choose to use the SPD ROM for various items. If so, then bytes 128-255 may be used.

Does 'Plan 9' have support for SMBus?
I found piix4smbus.c but what mean piix4?

--
http://rs-rlab.narod.ru                          mailto:rs_rlab@mail.ru

* [9fans] nvram
@ 2005-04-03 12:50 Sergey Reva
From: Sergey Reva @ 2005-04-03 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello Fans

At least in this weekend I got time to finish nvram emulation for x86.
It's 32k i2c EEPROM which concected to LPT port, of course others ic's supported too.
For now it powered from pc power supply, but i believe it can work
from LPT power too... checking now...

For testing device I read plan9.ini manual and set nvr=/dev/i2c
at this moment i can't find any way to access device driver instead of write
     char nvr[]="#2";
     bind(nvr,dev,MAFTER);
to port/initcode.c
in this case I fail with
.... can't write key to nvram: i/o error...

Then I try greping sources with 'write key to nvram', and find
/sys/src/libauthsrv/readnvram.c
after I walk though it i find many interesting, like this
nvram, nvroff, nvrlen. Then I put settings to plan9.ini
       nvram=/dev/i2c
       nvroff=0        #as i understand this is offset in file? right?
       nvrlen=512
after that all work fine

but, also I try
  cat '#2!/i2c'
and it's work, but when i write this to nvram i fail with
...file does not exist '''#2!/i2c'''....

Now I ask how use this device without changing initcode.c?
--

@ 2003-08-26 21:17 Kenji Arisawa
From: Kenji Arisawa @ 2003-08-26 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

My CPU server equips a HDD for only 512B NVRAM.
I feel that is silly.
How are you doing?

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] nvram
@ 2000-09-06 23:00 jmk
From: jmk @ 2000-09-06 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	i guess i should qualify that.  the real problem is that the
	bios should present (not that i'm a pc expert) a: as a: even if
	it's connected by two tin cans and a a piece of string.

indeed, some of them do exactly that. the problem comes once you've
used that facility to load something which can't do bios calls, it can
no longer find the drive it was loaded from.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Kernighan interview (w/ Plan 9 mention)
@ 2000-09-06 13:24 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I took the roadsigns about this stuff seriously. When they seemed to say

>>	"don't play here if you are thick, or lazy, or both"

>>I made a simple call, and decided I fitted both categories. While its not
>>nice to have to self-assess as 'provably unsuitable for plan9' I think I
>>made the right decision. Whats more, I believe "you" all breathed a sigh
>>of relief inside when I did.

not a bit of it.  have a go.  it's character forming.