* [9fans] the return of cat -v (NetBSD sources)
@ 2004-02-12  1:06 George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-02-12  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

from a posting to a NetBSD list...

-George

----
Hi people,

I'm not sure this is the right list, but I have noticed that the code for
/bin/cat includes several gotos which were inserted when the -f flag was
implemented (starting from line 252 on version 1.43).
To me these gotos look like a quick patch (especially with names like "skip" :))
and seem like a good start for a spaghetti code... but I'm no expert.

My question is this: wouldn't it be more clean to implement these using a flag?
This way the danger of code additions which will make "skip" move too far and
become obscure will disappear.

According to http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/features.html#clean-design, clean code
is quite important fot NetBSD.

If there's some optimization or other issues here, let me know.
If it's a matter of religious wars, well, I'll be happy to know too :)
And if it's a matter of finding  someone to make the change, again, let me know.

Thanks
    Ofer Waldman

* Re: [9fans] the return of cat -v (NetBSD sources)
@ 2004-02-12  1:59 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2004-02-12  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sigh.  Surely by now their cat contains a yacc grammar?

* Re: [9fans] the return of cat -v (NetBSD sources)
@ 2004-02-12  2:04   ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2004-02-12  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:59:54 -0800 Geoff Collyer <geoff@collyer.net> wrote:

>Sigh.  Surely by now their cat contains a yacc grammar?

dunno, but presumably if you know the right address in memory you can do

cat < /path/to/yacc.bin | dd of=/dev/kmem seek=<x> count=<y> and force it
into the instruction stream at the next appropriate PC...

-George

* Re: [9fans] the return of cat -v (NetBSD sources)
@ 2004-02-12  2:22     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-02-12  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

not before i've eaten please.  further to my benchmark requests
i'm looking for some good 64 bit tests.  and please - something
that already runs on p9.  i've already made some nice changes
to 8c and i'm looking for kind soles to do some testing.  i know
that the guys at the labs have better things to do with their time.

brucee

@ 2004-02-12  2:58   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-12  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sigh.  Surely by now their cat contains a yacc grammar?

not to mention the XML.

* Re: [9fans] the return of cat -v (NetBSD sources)
@ 2004-02-12  3:00     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-12  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the BSD cat meets mmap meets a pipe is a gem.