* Re: [9fans] vito nuova inferno on 98
@ 2000-11-21 17:40 anothy
From: anothy @ 2000-11-21 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

//the only version of mk i see is a windows binary and
//the C source, but i want to write limbo on inferno, or
//compile bits of the source tree.  unless i'm missing
//something, mk.dis does not exist.

nope, you're right: there is no mk.[b|dis]. there are two
building options: 1) use mk on the underlying OS (outside
of Inferno) with that OS's "native" mk and limbo compiler
2) use mash and its make functionality. option 2 may be of
limited life, however, as VN has said mash may not be long
for their distribution. i'm wondering if they have any
alternative in the works. option 1 is the standard on all
the Inferno development efforts i've seen.
-α.

* Re: [9fans] vito nuova inferno on 98
@ 2000-11-21 17:48 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-11-21 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <anothy@cosym.net>

> 2) use mash and its make functionality. option 2 may be of
> limited life, however, as VN has said mash may not be long
> for their distribution.

i haven't looked at the mk extensions to mash even though
the author is a mate of mine and i was staying with him when
he wrote it!   he's not even sure what state the vita mash is in.

i feel a hideous kludge comming on...

* Re: [9fans] vito nuova inferno on 98
@ 2000-11-21 19:07 rog
From: rog @ 2000-11-21 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> yes, but this is not my real problem.  the only version
> of mk i see is a windows binary and the C source, but
> i want to write limbo on inferno, or compile bits of the
> source tree.  unless i'm missing something, mk.dis does
> not exist.

you're right, mk.dis doesn't exist.  it's on the cards to rectify this
in some way, whether it's by cloning mk, or putting mash-like
functionality into inferno sh, or whatever...  it will happen, but
we're snowed under for the time being, and i think there are higher
immediate priorities (charles might correct me).

the thing is that one doesn't tend to feel the lack of mk too much when
developing limbo under inferno, as there's no link stage,
so usually just a {limbo -g *.b; cp *.dis /dis} suffices.

we don't plan on rewriting the C compilers in Limbo anytime
soon, and that's where mk becomes invaluable. so if you're
rebuilding emu or a native kernel, you'll be forced out
into your host environment for the forseeable future
(oscmd aside)

if you really felt the lack, you could use mash, or
write a little sh script:

#!/dis/sh
load std regex
fn depend {
	# usage depend source target recipe args...
	(src targ recipe) := $*
	recent:=${hd `{ls -t $targ $src >[2] /dev/null}}
	if {~ $recent $src} {
		echo $recipe
		$recipe
	}
}

for i in *.b {
	targ := ${re s '(.*)\.b$' '\1.dis' $i}
	depend $i $targ {
		limbo -g $*
	} $i
}

* Re: [9fans] vito nuova inferno on 98
@ 2000-11-21 17:12   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-11-21 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-11-21 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2000-11-18 23:43 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-11-18 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    CC=cl
    AS=ml

@ 2000-11-18 23:19 Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2000-11-18 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i want to compile /utils/mk for inferno after configuring
mkconfig and it tries to use:

    CC=cl
    AS=ml

which don't exist, so i'm a bit confused.

i got in mkconfig:

    SYSHOST=Nt
    OBJTYPE=386

as i understand it i have to compile it from windows.