* [9fans] Setting 9pi Start State / Drawterm to 9pi
@ 2014-02-21  6:49 Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2014-02-21  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have recently installed Plan 9 on my Raspberry Pi but I can't seem to
figure out how to modify the start state -- while I've configured acme the
way I want it and have used the dump command (so I can manually re-load
acme with -l and get my system back), I can't find where I set which
acme.dump file for acme to load when the system starts (I always get the
default, regardless of what I try doing). If someone could point me to the
correct configuration file, it would be much appreciated.

Also, is there anything special that needs to be done to set up 9pi as a
server that I can drawterm to? The instructions I've found all seem to fit
a much more complicated scenario or otherwise just not apply to a simple,
new Plan 9 user on his Raspberry Pi wanting to make his new Plan 9 system
available to him at work, for example, using drawterm. For example,
http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9
/Drawterm_to_your_terminal/index.html lost me -- do I need to set up keyfs,
or is it not necessary in this situation?

Finally, does anyone know of a drawterm application for Mac OS X that runs
on 10.9? The download shows up as a document that I can't seem to get to
launch from the terminal or otherwise.

Thank you very much for any help you may be able to provide. 𝔹

* Re: [9fans] Setting 9pi Start State / Drawterm to 9pi
@ 2014-02-21  8:51 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-02-21  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

for rio startup script look in $home/bin/rc/riostart

i'm not sure what type of kernel is on the stock 9Pi image. if it's a term
kernel, you can't drawterm to it; but building an auth+cpu+fs combo kernel
is easy.

@ 2014-02-21 10:28   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-02-21 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i'm not sure what type of kernel is on the stock 9Pi image.

The 9pi.img has both types of kernel in the dos partition.  To boot
the pi as a cpu server instead of a terminal, change 'kernel=9pi' to
'kernel=9picpu' in config.txt, and copy cmdline-cpu.txt to cmdline.txt

But I think the query was about a simple way to connect to your own
plan 9 terminal with drawterm, without making it into a cpu server.

> if it's a term
> kernel, you can't drawterm to it;

Actually that's not so.  For example, a quick-and-dirty method posted
to 9fans by Luke Evans on 10 Dec 2012 (which applies to any Plan 9
terminal, not just the pi):

	echo 'key proto=p9sk1 dom=plan9 user=glenda !password=MYPASS' >/mnt/factotum/ctl
	aux/listen -t tcp!*!ncpu /bin/cpu -R &

This will only allow the terminal owner to connect.  For more general
cpu-like service on a terminal, I use this script (which requires some
prior setup with auth/changeuser to create the lib/keys file):

	#!/bin/rc
	auth/factotum -g 'user=miller dom=hamnavoe.com proto=p9sk1 !password?'
	rfork ne
	echo auth server password:
	auth/keyfs -p $home/lib/keys
	aux/listen1 -t tcp!*!ticket /bin/rc -c '/bin/auth/authsrv -d $net' &
	service=cpu aux/listen1 tcp!*!17007 /bin/exportfs -a&
	service=cpu aux/listen1 tcp!*!cpu /bin/cpu -O &
	service=cpu aux/listen1 tcp!*!ncpu /bin/cpu -R &

Nowadays there's hardly any difference between cpu and terminal
kernels, and in fact I would advocate combining the two.  Only a few
lines of kernel source code need to be changed to allow it to decide
at boot time whether to behave as a cpu server or terminal, depending
on the setting of service= in plan9.ini.

* Re: [9fans] Setting 9pi Start State / Drawterm to 9pi
@ 2014-02-21 12:42 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-21 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Finally, does anyone know of a drawterm application for Mac OS X that runs
> on 10.9? The download shows up as a document that I can't seem to get to
> launch from the terminal or otherwise.

on bitbucket, you can download jas/drawterm-cocoa.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Setting 9pi Start State / Drawterm to 9pi
@ 2014-02-23 14:50   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-02-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 23, 2014, at 6:16 AM, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:

>> ... What instructions would you suggest I start
>> with for setting up a full cpu + auth + fossil server or mounting the pi
>> file system remotely with 9fs from Windows or Mac OS X?
>
> Look at the plan 9 wiki http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9, bearing
> in mind that most instructions are written for a PC installation so a
> few things will be in different places on the pi ... eg the disk is sdM0
> not sdC0, and boot parameters are in cmdline.txt (one line) not plan9.ini
> (multiple lines).

This may help:
http://mirror.9grid.fr/mirror.9grid.fr/plan9-cpu-auth-server-howto.html

* Re: [9fans] Setting 9pi Start State / Drawterm to 9pi
@ 2014-02-23 14:32   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-23 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > is it advisable or necessary to update the 9pi
> > distribution's firmware files from
> > https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/at any time or from time to
> > time?
>
> No.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

unfortunately, software maintence is such these days.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Setting 9pi Start State / Drawterm to 9pi
@ 2014-02-23 14:16 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-02-23 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ... What instructions would you suggest I start
> with for setting up a full cpu + auth + fossil server or mounting the pi
> file system remotely with 9fs from Windows or Mac OS X?

Look at the plan 9 wiki http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9, bearing
in mind that most instructions are written for a PC installation so a
few things will be in different places on the pi ... eg the disk is sdM0
not sdC0, and boot parameters are in cmdline.txt (one line) not plan9.ini
(multiple lines).

> Is there any support for the Edimax EW-7811Un USB-WiFi adaptor --
> or any other USB-WiFi adaptor?

No.

@ 2014-02-23  5:04 ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-02-23  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just to quickly hijack this thread, would this Python code work on Plan 9?

https://github.com/philsmd/vap11g

Many thanks!

@ 2014-02-23  4:59 Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2014-02-23  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you, that's good to know. What instructions would you suggest I start

@ 2014-02-22  7:52 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2014-02-22  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2014-02-22  4:23 Brian Vito