* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-05  8:07 Aharon Robbins
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2005-01-05  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Anyone care to recommend a wireless 3-button USB mouse?
>
> yikes.  wireless is a pain unless you have enough power to
> drive it, say WiFi or proximity cards.

I don't understand this.  These things are little receivers you plug
into a USB port and the mouse has 2 batteries in it (either AA or AAA).
The ranges vary from 3 feet to 3 meters.

Prices range from ~ $US 8 to ~ $ US 70  !  I'm willing to spend
up to about $20 on a mouse, but I'd like to know that I'm getting
something that will still be working after two years or so.

Thanks,

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-05  8:17 ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2005-01-05  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:07:26 +0200, Aharon Robbins <arnold@skeeve.com>
wrote:

>> > Anyone care to recommend a wireless 3-button USB mouse?
>>
>> yikes.  wireless is a pain unless you have enough power to
>> drive it, say WiFi or proximity cards.
>
> I don't understand this.  These things are little receivers you plug
> into a USB port and the mouse has 2 batteries in it (either AA or AAA).
> The ranges vary from 3 feet to 3 meters.

I -think- what Boyd meant was that "Thou shalt beware of USB power."
You're _supposed_ to have +5V, but many hubs are just plain crap.
I've seen USB on the mainboard that was crap.
But yes, the mice have autonomous power.

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-05 14:05 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-01-05 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I don't understand this.  These things are little receivers you plug
> into a USB port and the mouse has 2 batteries in it (either AA or AAA).
> The ranges vary from 3 feet to 3 meters.

i know that.  i used to fight with one a lot [corporate policy] because
a) it needed batteries and b) the choice of NiMh [1.2V] rechargables
was made.  i really don't like things that run on batteries when you
have other choices.

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-05 14:08   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-01-05 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I -think- what Boyd meant was that "Thou shalt beware of USB power."
> You're _supposed_ to have +5V, but many hubs are just plain crap.

i didn't mean that and now i've learnt another thing i _really_ didn't
want to know.  can't they get _anything_ right?

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-05 14:15   ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2005-01-05 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i know that.  i used to fight with one a lot [corporate policy] because
> a) it needed batteries and b) the choice of NiMh [1.2V] rechargables
> was made.  i really don't like things that run on batteries when you
> have other choices.

I quickly learned to put it in the nifty rechanger when I left my desk.

* [9fans] Translating Plan 9 docs to spanish
@ 2005-01-05 20:03 ` Antonio Vazquez Araujo
From: Antonio Vazquez Araujo @ 2005-01-05 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello all.
I am translating the docs to spanish.
By the moment, I have finalized with:

"Plan 9 from Bell Labs"
"The Use of Name Spaces in Plan 9"

1- Looking for anybody interested giving some help.
2- I have a problem with troff: work is in utf-8, but accents dont work.
3- There is any place in the system to put the docs for revision?

THANKS.

Happy new year 2009.

Antonio.

* Re: [9fans] Translating Plan 9 docs to spanish
@ 2005-01-05 21:25   ` Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz
From: Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz @ 2005-01-05 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think alcortes has some done, ask him, because he did translate something.

@ 2005-01-06  0:49   ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2005-01-06  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> 1- Looking for anybody interested giving some help.
I could do some revision work.

> 2- I have a problem with troff: work is in utf-8, but accents dont work.
I have problems with accents with gnu´s troff, but none with the plan9´s troff.

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-06 12:47     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2005-01-06 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it get's worse (and seeing the huge selection of USB crap
that i could buy at the *post office* today i undertsand why
it is the most abused "standard" i've ever encountered),

i recently purchased a belkin micro-hub which has problems
with current distribution and an older hub which doesn't seem
to understand much at all about what it should be doing.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-06 18:01       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-01-06 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.ellis, 9fans

>>t get's worse (and seeing the huge selection of USB crap
>>that i could buy at the *post office* today i undertsand why
>>it is the most abused "standard" i've ever encountered),

we fixed that here by closing as many post offices as possible.

>>i recently purchased a belkin micro-hub which has problems

which one is that?  my new `tetra hub' seems to be working for testing
purposes, but i've found a few problems elsewhere.
i'm reading up on OHCI before i get stuck in.
or given past history with USB, just stuck.
still, it should be more fun in my spare time than WS-Rubbish or
WS-Insanity, especially since unlike them it allows something useful to go.

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-07  0:22       ` Adrian Tritschler
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2005-01-07  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Bruce Ellis wrote:
> it get's worse (and seeing the huge selection of USB crap
> that i could buy at the *post office* today i undertsand why
> it is the most abused "standard" i've ever encountered),

You object to a USB powered rechargable toothbrush?  Or the USB
"personal massager"?

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/41ddd6410e3c092a273fc0a87f9c06b2/Product/View/XH6192

> i recently purchased a belkin micro-hub which has problems
> with current distribution and an older hub which doesn't seem
> to understand much at all about what it should be doing.

*sigh* I've got two memory stick things, a T21 with one USB port, and a
USB hub that can be powered or unpowered.  One of the memory sticks only
works if the hub is powered, the other only works if it is unpowered.
Either works if plugged directly into the T21.

Plan9 reference?  I can't seem to get either of them to work with plan9.
  (probably operator error)

> brucee
	Adrian

Adrian Tritschler                          mailto:ajft@ajft.org
Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E, Altitude 50m,      Shoe size 44

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-07  0:49         ` Bruce Ellis
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2005-01-07  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> You object to a USB powered rechargable toothbrush?  Or the USB
> "personal massager"?
>
> *sigh* I've got two memory stick things, a T21 with one USB port, and a
> USB hub that can be powered or unpowered.  One of the memory sticks only
> works if the hub is powered, the other only works if it is unpowered.
> Either works if plugged directly into the T21.

That's an amazing USB hub.  Are you sure it isn't a toothbrush?
Maybe you need to reboot a couple of times or floss.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-07  1:07         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-01-07  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>You object to a USB powered rechargable toothbrush?  Or the USB
>>"personal massager"?

had more interesting devices been available at the time (other than
mouse and keyboard, a non-standard hub, and a completely non-standard videocam)
i still claim i'd have done a better job.  indeed, owing to the lack
of interesting devices, i was forced to acquire a standalone
personal massager.  recently, however (all right, over christmas),
i discovered that amusing gadget supply had much improved (and i gave several as gifts)
so i've now got an incentive to fix up the old crud i left behind.
i'm replacing it by new crud.
mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

more seriously, once you see what USB actually does, you'd be amazed at
how much protocol is required.  9P rulez!

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-07  1:52         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2005-01-07  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You object to a USB powered rechargable toothbrush?  Or the USB
> "personal massager"?

Reminds me of another philosophical discussion I once heard:

Q. Why did God create Man?
A. Because the USB "personal massager" can't mow the lawn.

We can all take comfort in that.

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-07  4:46           ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-01-07  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Charles Forsyth wrote:

> more seriously, once you see what USB actually does, you'd be amazed at
> how much protocol is required.  9P rulez!

yes, sadly, usb was a botch from day one. I've never figured out how they
managed to mess it up so badly.

ron

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-07  5:27             ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2005-01-07  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've never figured out how they managed to mess it up so badly.

Wasn't USB a committee design?  Think OSI/X.400/X.500: design it all
on paper first and by committee, without any feedback from reality.

* Re: [9fans] Translating Plan 9 docs to spanish
@ 2005-01-07  9:07     ` Antonio Vazquez Araujo
From: Antonio Vazquez Araujo @ 2005-01-07  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks. Do you know the alcortes e-mail?
Antonio.

@ 2005-01-07  9:10     ` Antonio Vazquez Araujo
From: Antonio Vazquez Araujo @ 2005-01-07  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Benavento, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks for you revision interest. I will put the docs in some place in
the system the next week, I think. If not, I will send you the drafts.

With troff, I have a problem: I write in utf-8, but the accents dont
work. I think the problem is a troff macro called s. There is in it some
  lines refering to accents.

@ 2005-01-07 14:48               ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-01-07 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 geoff@collyer.net wrote:

> Wasn't USB a committee design?  Think OSI/X.400/X.500: design it all
> on paper first and by committee, without any feedback from reality.

yeah, and I think the same guys did infiniband.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Translating Plan 9 docs to spanish
@ 2005-01-07 19:35       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-01-07 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> With troff, I have a problem: I write in utf-8, but the accents dont
> work. I think the problem is a troff macro called s. There is in it some
>   lines refering to accents.

i ran into a quasi-related problem.  this might help:

    http://www.insultant.net/repo/plan9/ralph.c

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-08  5:09             ` Martin C.Atkins
From: Martin C.Atkins @ 2005-01-08  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:46:07 -0700 (MST) "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Charles Forsyth wrote:
>
> > more seriously, once you see what USB actually does, you'd be amazed at
> > how much protocol is required.  9P rulez!
>
> yes, sadly, usb was a botch from day one. I've never figured out how they
> managed to mess it up so badly.

There already was a perfectly good "Universal" connector and protocol
standard, called RJ45 and "ethernet", and power-over-ethernet was
just about to solve the power problem. There was even some software
support existing for this standard. OK maybe it wasn't ideal for the
purpose, but surely (given the frequency with which these things are
changed for no very good reason) it couldn't have been too hard to
'fix' it.

I believe POE can supply more power to devices than USB too.

Just think how many programmers wouldn't have had to spend time
writing all the new protocols! Just think of all the other things
they could have done with that time... On second thoughts, perhaps
USB saved the world! :-)

And another pet complaint of mine: given that we now have USB/USB2
(and/or ethernet), why, oh why do we need: Compact Flash, smartmedia,
MMC, SD, XD, memory stick (version 1 and 2), and probably half a
dozen other formats that have popped up since I was last looking?
About the only people this helps are the multi-format reader makers!
I know the arguments about consumer choice, but sometimes "the
competitive marketplace" is just c**p.

Martin

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-01-08  7:12         ` Kenji Okamoto
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-01-08  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Plan9 reference?  I can't seem to get either of them to work with plan9.
>   (probably operator error)

As none replies this...

usb/usbd
usb/usbsfs
if necessary
	disk/fdisk -p /n/ums/data
   	get something like:
		part dos 32 63936
dossrv -f /n/ums/data:32 usbdisk
mount -c /srv/usbdisk /n/d

I randomly tried two kinds of USB device, such as 32MB ClipDrive(Buffalo) and
128MB DataStick (ADTEC, USB 2.0).   The former needs fdisk operation, and the
latter doen't.   For both, usbsfs command fail once, then, kill the failed
process, and re-dipatch the same command, then, it getts success.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-08 12:17           ` Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz
From: Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz @ 2005-01-08 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

USB 2.0 isn't supported is it?. Probably the strange behaviour of the second
disk has to do with it changing mode to backwards compatibility with 1.0...
Just guessing.

                                                    G.
>> Plan9 reference?  I can't seem to get either of them to work with plan9.
>>   (probably operator error)
>
> As none replies this...
>
> usb/usbd
> usb/usbsfs
> if necessary
> disk/fdisk -p /n/ums/data
>   get something like:
> part dos 32 63936
> dossrv -f /n/ums/data:32 usbdisk
> mount -c /srv/usbdisk /n/d
>
> I randomly tried two kinds of USB device, such as 32MB ClipDrive(Buffalo)
> and
> 128MB DataStick (ADTEC, USB 2.0).   The former needs fdisk operation, and
> the
> latter doen't.   For both, usbsfs command fail once, then, kill the failed
> process, and re-dipatch the same command, then, it getts success.
>
> Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-08 12:59             ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-01-08 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>USB 2.0 isn't supported is it?. Probably the strange behaviour of the second
>>disk has to do with it changing mode to backwards compatibility with 1.0...
>>Just guessing.

i don't 2.0/1.0 is relevant.  (the things are barely intelligent for 1.x, let
alone things like split transactions for 2.0.) i've got quite a few storage devices to test now.
(many other things as well, but that's another matter.)
some advertise subclass 5, others subclass 6.  most of them are bulk-only.
some work provided Bulk Reset is not used.
some stall the reply to every `transparent scsi' command.
i'm trying to understand the devices that cause the last case,
because it's the most mysterious, since i can't see what we're doing wrong,
even by comparison with Linux source (as i work out how it's put together).

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-09 22:30           ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2005-01-09 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> For both, usbsfs command fail once, then, kill the failed
> process, and re-dipatch the same command, then, it getts success.

This can be corrected if you edit usb/storage/usbsfs.c and change
	if (SRrcapacity(ums, data) == -1)
	if (SRrcapacity(ums, data) == -1 && SRrcapacity(ums, data) == -1)

To make the new stricter compiler happy, you may also have to add these
two lines to the beginning of usb/storage/scsireq.h:

typedef struct UMS Ums;
#pragma incomplete Ums

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-09 23:37           ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2005-01-09 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-10  8:43             ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2005-01-10  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thank you, but I don't seem to have usb/usbsfs on my machine..

It's now in /n/sources/miller/usb/storage - still work in progress,
but some people have found it useful.

If you find a USB storage device it doesn't work for, please try
'usbsfs -d' and send me the output.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-10 14:45               ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2005-01-10 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Martin C.Atkins wrote:

>I know the arguments about consumer choice, but sometimes "the
>competitive marketplace" is just c**p.

It always has been c**p, at least since I watched IBM and Burroughs
manipulate the perceptions of decision makers in the late sixties. It
was easy then, because to nearly everyone who purchased hardware or
software it was all pure magic.

They must work harder at it these days, because more people see through
it. Specifically, of the three sets of buyers -- 1) those who see
through it because they understand the technology, 2) those who see
through it just because they've become familiar with how computers and
their vendors work, and 3) those who are clueless -- huge numbers of
people have gone from the third group to the second.

Before the age of Apache etc. it was pointless for knowledgeable people
to try to get past the FUD factor, for instance with the message about
POE and the resulting simplification of the infrastructure. Today it is
different, people will listen.

* Re: [9fans] Translating Plan 9 docs to spanish
@ 2005-01-10 20:53       ` Alberto Cortes
From: Alberto Cortes @ 2005-01-10 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:07:17 +0000, Antonio Vazquez Araujo wrote:
> Thanks. Do you know the alcortes e-mail?
> Antonio.

Hola Antonio.

I will send you what i did in an off-list email.

--
http://montoya.aig.uc3m.es/~acortes/index.html

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-10 21:10               ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-01-10 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>i don't [think] 2.0/1.0 is relevant.  (the things are barely intelligent for 1.x, let
>>alone things like split transactions for 2.0.)

and that was indeed the case.  i'm still exploring the mess.
now, my chosen devices speak, but they haven't yet got much to say.
some of the usb device-chip implementations are perhaps best described
as conformancy-challenged: not just usb but scsi.
infamy! infamy!

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-11  2:20             ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-01-11  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Richard,

I'm using this new version usbsfs.c.

After I saw many people are using usb storage without problem,
I rechecked my devices, and found I have no problem if I
use us/usbsfs command with -d option.   Yes, in this case,
the devices don't stall anymore, however, without this option,
those stall once.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3646 bytes --]

From: Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:30:16 0000

@ 2005-01-11  2:22               ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-01-11  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Awawawa, this should be sent to Richard personally.

Sorry, everyone. _o_

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] wireless USB mice?
@ 2005-01-12 23:42               ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2005-01-12 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Richard Miller wrote:
|>Thank you, but I don't seem to have usb/usbsfs on my machine..

| It's now in /n/sources/miller/usb/storage - still work in progress,
| but some people have found it useful.

Ah, thanks for that.  Looks like I've got myself some USB devices from
the wrong parts of the bell curve :-)

If this helps further on, I'm booting an IBM thinkpad T21 from
/386/9pcdisk (from sources).  Kernel reports
#U/usb0: uhci: port 0x1C20 irq 11

Following Kenji Okamoto's suggestions:

Using the "Swann MultiHUB" (4-port USB hub), powered from its plugback,
two USB memory sticks (but only one at a time was plugged in), there is
also a USB mouse plugged into the hub.

KeyA "JetFlash 1GB"
===================

A USB 2.0 device, I think its power requirements mean that it has to be
plugged into an external hub, the T21 cannot provide enough power
through the USB port.

| usb/usbd
| usb/usbsfs
| if necessary
|	disk/fdisk -p /n/ums/data
|   	get something like:
|		part dos 32 63936

there is no /n/ums following the first two commands.

| dossrv -f /n/ums/data:32 usbdisk
| mount -c /srv/usbdisk /n/d

usb/usbsfs -d gives:
unknown% usb/usbd
unknown% usb/usbsfs -d
pdesc 3.-1 [18]
desc 3.-1 [18] 0x01: usb (bcd)0200 class 0 subclass 0 proto 0 [0.0.0]
max0 64 vendor 0xea0 product 0x2168 device (bcd)0200 man 1 prod 2 serial
3 nconfig 1
pdesc 3.0 [39]
desc 3.0 [9] 0x02: config 1: tdlen 39 ninterface 1 iconfig 0 attr 0x80
power 300mA
desc 3.0 [9] 0x04: interface 0: alt 0 nept 3 class 0x8 subclass 0x6
proto 80 [8.6.80] iinterface 0
desc 3.0 [7] 0x05: addr 0x81 attrib 0x02 maxpkt 64 interval 0ms [IN] [Bulk]
desc 3.0 [7] 0x05: addr 0x02 attrib 0x02 maxpkt 64 interval 0ms [OUT] [Bulk]
desc 3.0 [7] 0x05: addr 0x83 attrib 0x03 maxpkt 2 interval 1ms [IN]
[Interrupt]
cmd: 12 00 00 00 ff 00 datalen: 255
status: 00 residue: 219
cmd: 1b 00 00 00 01 00 datalen: 0
status: 00 residue: 0
cmd: 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 datalen: 8
status: 00 residue: 0

KeyB "JungSOFT PSD-64N 64MB"
============================

| usb/usbd
| usb/usbsfs
- - never returns to the prompt, after about five minutes I pulled the USB
key out and get

usbscsi: data input: i/o error
usbscsi: read status: i/o error
status 0xFFFFFFFD
usb/usbsfs: device error

usb/usbsfs -d gives:
unknown% usb/usbd
unknown% usb/usbsfs -d
pdesc 3.-1 [18]
desc 3.-1 [18] 0x01: usb (bcd)0110 class 0 subclass 0 proto 0 [0.0.0]
max0 8 vendor 0x121e product 0x2001 device (bcd)0100 man 0 prod 0 serial
0 nconfig 1
pdesc 3.0 [39]
desc 3.0 [9] 0x02: config 1: tdlen 39 ninterface 1 iconfig 0 attr 0x80
power 100mA
desc 3.0 [9] 0x04: interface 0: alt 0 nept 3 class 0x8 subclass 0x6
proto 80 [8.6.80] iinterface 0
desc 3.0 [7] 0x05: addr 0x81 attrib 0x02 maxpkt 64 interval 0ms [IN] [Bulk]
desc 3.0 [7] 0x05: addr 0x02 attrib 0x02 maxpkt 64 interval 0ms [OUT] [Bulk]
desc 3.0 [7] 0x05: addr 0x83 attrib 0x03 maxpkt 8 interval 255ms [IN]
[Interrupt]
cmd: 12 00 00 00 ff 00 datalen: 255
***stalls here****

Retrying without the hub

KeyA "JetFlash 1GB"
===================

unknown% usb/usbd
unknown% usb/usbsfs
usbscsi: data input: usb endpoint stalled
usbscsi: data input: usb endpoint stalled
usb/usbsfs: device error

KeyB "JungSOFT PSD-64N 64MB"
============================
Same behaviour, usbsfs never returns.

unknown% usb/usbd
unknown% usb/usbsfs -d
pdesc 1.-1 [18]
desc 1.-1 [18] 0x01: usb (bcd)0110 class 0 subclass 0 proto 0 [0.0.0]
max0 8 vendor 0x121e product 0x2001 device (bcd)0100 man 0 prod 0 serial
0 nconfig 1
pdesc 1.0 [39]
desc 1.0 [9] 0x02: config 1: tdlen 39 ninterface 1 iconfig 0 attr 0x80
power 100mA
desc 1.0 [9] 0x04: interface 0: alt 0 nept 3 class 0x8 subclass 0x6
proto 80 [8.6.80] iinterface 0
desc 1.0 [7] 0x05: addr 0x81 attrib 0x02 maxpkt 64 interval 0ms [IN] [Bulk]
desc 1.0 [7] 0x05: addr 0x02 attrib 0x02 maxpkt 64 interval 0ms [OUT] [Bulk]
desc 1.0 [7] 0x05: addr 0x83 attrib 0x03 maxpkt 8 interval 255ms [IN]
[Interrupt]
cmd: 12 00 00 00 ff 00 datalen: 255

| If you find a USB storage device it doesn't work for, please try
| 'usbsfs -d' and send me the output.

Here it is, hope its useful.

@ 2005-01-13 22:16                 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2005-01-13 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If this helps further on, I'm booting an IBM thinkpad T21 from
> /386/9pcdisk (from sources).

Me too.

> KeyA "JetFlash 1GB"

The 'usbsfs -d' output looks like a successful initialisation; I can't
see why there's no /n/ums at this point - unless perhaps you are trying
to look at it from a window with a different namespace?  Does the usbsfs
command exit and leave you with a shell prompt or do you have to interrupt it?

> KeyB "JungSOFT PSD-64N 64MB"
> cmd: 12 00 00 00 ff 00 datalen: 255
> ***stalls here****

Possibly the SCSI Inquiry is failing because too much data is requested.
Could you try changing the ScsiReq definition in scsireq.h from

	uchar sense[MaxDirData];	/* returned sense data */
	uchar inquiry[MaxDirData];	/* returned inquiry data */

	uchar sense[18];	/* returned sense data */
	uchar inquiry[36];	/* returned inquiry data */

and see if that helps?

-- Richard

* [9fans] Ping?
@ 2005-01-13 22:26         ` Bob Hartley
From: Bob Hartley @ 2005-01-13 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quiet on my end for a week.

Did I miss something?

* Re: [9fans] Ping?
@ 2005-01-13 23:22           ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-01-13 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Quiet on my end for a week.
>
> Did I miss something?

you should check the archives. the list has been active, if that is indeed
your question :)