* [9fans] How to mange cwfs on 9front?
@ 2011-12-02 11:04 kokamoto
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: kokamoto @ 2011-12-02 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

I just installed 9front on a Celeron 2.8GHz with 1GB mashine
on a 40GB hard drive. :-)   Yes, I just tried it for test.
(When I used 528MB memory, I was rejected by insufficient memory).

I know 9front doesn't add anything new to Plan 9.   However, I'm interested
how they implemented Ken's fs to a user space where any user process can run.

How I can control the cwfs (on the terminal above)?  In the Ken's fileserver
we have a special console to control the fileserver.   However, I could not
find such a console on 9front...

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] How to mange cwfs on 9front?
@ 2011-12-02 11:18 ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2011-12-02 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM,  <kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just installed 9front on a Celeron 2.8GHz with 1GB mashine
> on a 40GB hard drive. :-)   Yes, I just tried it for test.
> (When I used 528MB memory, I was rejected by insufficient memory).
>
> I know 9front doesn't add anything new to Plan 9.   However, I'm interested
> how they implemented Ken's fs to a user space where any user process can run.
>
> How I can control the cwfs (on the terminal above)?  In the Ken's fileserver
> we have a special console to control the fileserver.   However, I could not
> find such a console on 9front...

9front adds new stuff, see http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/features.
Cwfs(4) (the user space Ken fs) was not written by 9front, and is
available on Plan 9 as well. To use it, please read cwfs(4) and fs(8).

* Re: [9fans] How to mange cwfs on 9front?
@ 2011-12-02 11:22 ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2011-12-02 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How I can control the cwfs (on the terminal above)?  In the Ken's fileserver
> we have a special console to control the fileserver.   However, I could not
> find such a console on 9front...

Say, how to make /usr/okamoto directory with uid okamoto, gid okamoto
etc, or /n/abc?

@ 2011-12-02 12:33   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-12-02 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

528MB is enougth memory to even compile python and ghostscript
without a swap partition :)

looks like there is some problem with the memory detection. there
was some bug in the e820 code of the bootloader. if the current
iso detects your memory, updating the bootloader on the 9fat
might fix it.

the cwfs "console" is put in devsrv as /srv/cwfs.cmd in 9front.

we also added factotum support, the ability to use files directly
in the configuration string without having to use a device map file,
temp-bit to exclude files from being dumped to worm, made it kfs
compatible so it can be used as root filesystem, record the cache
layout in the configuration block...

a lot of lines of code where deleted :)

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] How to mange cwfs on 9front?
@ 2011-12-02 13:53 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-12-02 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kokamoto, 9fans

On Fri Dec  2 06:05:23 EST 2011, kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just installed 9front on a Celeron 2.8GHz with 1GB mashine
> on a 40GB hard drive. :-)   Yes, I just tried it for test.
> (When I used 528MB memory, I was rejected by insufficient memory).

i think that cinap's right.  some of it's gone missing.  if this machine is pxebootable,
you can dowload
	hget http://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9pxeload > /386/9pxeloadxx
and run with
	*e820print=1
in your /cfg/pxe/$ether set.  this will print out the map that acpi gives us.
if this looks good, then there's a good chance of getting your machine
working.

if you can't pxeload, just change the url to get 9load, and install that
in your boot partition.  the 9atom cd will give you the same tools.
	hget http://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.bz2

hope that helps.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] How to mange cwfs on 9front?
@ 2011-12-09  0:39         ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2011-12-09  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> is usb confirmed not working?  if so, how?  normally this message is harmless.
> (though an indiciation of a bug in usb.)

Yes, I'm using usb device here, though not so hard use.

@ 2011-12-09  0:37       ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2011-12-09  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How did you get usb working? I have the same error on my machine.

On 9front, you don't need to some command suchusffat:, just
plugin the stick.
 Then just see /shr directory by acme, then, you'll find some sdU** directory.
That's it.

@ 2011-12-08 16:47       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-12-08 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swwiley, 9fans

@ 2011-12-08 16:17     ` stephen wiley
From: stephen wiley @ 2011-12-08 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-12-08 11:26   ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2011-12-08 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2011-12-07 13:07 ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2011-12-07 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> For pxe boot, I'll try soon, erik.

I've set up this pxe boot using 9front's package itself, such as
/386/9bootpxe.  I know now 512MB is enough to boot
/386/9pcf with diskless terminal.
This diskless terminal's usb device works fine and mounted to
/shr/sdU3.0 automatically.   It's very convenient.  Thanks all
developed 9front distribution!

@ 2011-12-06  1:12 ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2011-12-06  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The both of my 9front's machine has ehci USB chip, and failed to use
> both.

error messages are:
ehci 0xe0000000: port 5 didn't reset after 500ms: sts 0x1101t1data

and cat /dev/sdU6.1/ctl says only one line with last word busy.
No information for this port.
I remember I saw this in an early version of nemo's usb driver.

@ 2011-12-05 13:07 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2011-12-05 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry cinap, I deleted your mail mistakenly, and saw it from web browser.

Thank you for your snswer how to manage cwfd, such that
"echo < fscons cmd> >> /srv/cwfs.cmd".   Yes, it worked.

Is the /386/9bootxxx different from Plan 9's /386/9load?
Can /386/9load load the 9front's kernel from net?

I installed another machine for cpuserver, and tried to boot no-hdd and
floppy booting terminal using Plan 9's 9load, but failed.

The both of my 9front's machine has ehci USB chip, and failed to use
both.  The cpuserver does not recognize my floppy drive properly...
I'm not complaining though, however, I have no route to make new
bootable floppy for 9font without hdd.

What is the reason why you have no just 'pc' configureration, not 'pcf'?

Too noisy, maybe.  If so, sorry for that.