* [9fans] request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2006-12-10 22:33 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-12-10 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If there is someone out there who has a Mac and some spare cycles,
please Please PLEASE look into writing a Carbon-based (not X11-based)
back end for drawterm or for Plan 9 ports (if you do one, I'll do the other!).

The only hard part is finding out how to interface with Carbon from C.
The demands that Plan 9 graphics make on the underlying system
are really very minimal, the X implementation notwithstanding.
As a simple example take a look at the win32 code in drawterm,
which is only 646 lines to deal with mouse, keyboard, and graphics window.
http://cvs.pdos.csail.mit.edu/cvs/drawterm/gui-win32/screen.c?annotate=1.4
Ron's mention of a /dev/fb-based draw setup is similar proof.

If you know of good documentation but don't have time, please post any
links to docs that might help someone else.

Thanks.
Russ

* [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2006-12-10 23:01 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-12-10 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Paul Lalonde points out http://www.mactech.com/macintosh-c/online.html

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2006-12-10 23:23   ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-12-10 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2006-12-10 23:41     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-12-10 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Ok, my guilt is getting me to spend a couple of hours on this this
> afternoon.
> I'm assuming I just need to reimplement src/cmd/devdraw?

I didn't mean to guilt anyone into action.
Working on either src/cmd/devdraw or a new
drawterm/gui-mac directory would be fine.

You should look at the drawterm/gui-win32
directory either way, since it shows how
much simpler the hook code can be if you're
not trying to make remote network graphics
work well.

@ 2006-12-11  0:05       ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-12-11  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2006-12-11  1:38   ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-12-11  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-09 21:39     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-01-09 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Any update here?

On 12/10/06, Paul Lalonde <plalonde@telus.net> wrote:

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-09 22:22       ` Russ Cox
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-01-09 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Any update here?

Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
I have just checked it into the CVS repository.  The tarball at
http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.

If before you used make 'CONF=osx' to get the OS X/X11 build,
you should now use make 'CONF=osx-x11'.  Using plain make 'CONF=osx'
will now build the native Carbon version.

There are still some things that could be done in the graphics code.
In particular, it would be nice if the keyboard modifiers that X11
uses to get alternate mouse buttons worked here too -- otherwise
on laptops you have a one-button drawterm.

The changes I have just pushed out are untested by me (I tested
an earlier version of them) and may not even compile (I am not at
a Mac right now).  Mail me and Paul if you have any problems.

@ 2007-01-09 22:42         ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-01-09 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10  0:05         ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2007-01-10  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

is there a binary anywhere?

>> Any update here?
>
> Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
> I have just checked it into the CVS repository.  The tarball at
> http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.
>
> If before you used make 'CONF=osx' to get the OS X/X11 build,
> you should now use make 'CONF=osx-x11'.  Using plain make 'CONF=osx'
> will now build the native Carbon version.
>
> There are still some things that could be done in the graphics code.
> In particular, it would be nice if the keyboard modifiers that X11
> uses to get alternate mouse buttons worked here too -- otherwise
> on laptops you have a one-button drawterm.
>
> The changes I have just pushed out are untested by me (I tested
> an earlier version of them) and may not even compile (I am not at
> a Mac right now).  Mail me and Paul if you have any problems.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10  0:58           ` andrey mirtchovski
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-01-10  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i just compiled one on an intel powerbook, i can send that to russ or
to you if you need it.

@ 2007-01-10  1:01             ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2007-01-10  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Send me a copy.

@ 2007-01-10  1:05             ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-01-10  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

err, make that an intel macbook.

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10  1:05             ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-01-10  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10  1:07               ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2007-01-10  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> err, make that an intel macbook.

works for me.  I've a Core Solo MacMini.

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10  1:24                 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-01-10  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://9grid.net/andrey/p9/drawterm-osx-intel.gz
http://9grid.net/andrey/p9/drawterm-osx-power.gz

both include the locking fix Paul was talking about.

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10  5:09                   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-01-10  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/9/07, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://9grid.net/andrey/p9/drawterm-osx-intel.gz
> http://9grid.net/andrey/p9/drawterm-osx-power.gz
>
> both include the locking fix Paul was talking about.

I'm having 0 luck with 9grid.net.  Not sure whom to tell.

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10  5:18                     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-01-10  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

me. fossil is hung after i put the binaries on and people started
downloading them. it'll reboot tomorrow morning :(

@ 2007-01-10  9:20         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-01-10  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
> I have just checked it into the CVS repository.  The tarball at
> http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.

nice! thanks.  compiled right out of the box on a dual g4 box (10.4.8)
so far it is good enough to send messages to 9fans!

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10 16:07           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-01-10 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/10/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
> > Paul got the native OS X graphics code working a few weeks ago.
> > I have just checked it into the CVS repository.  The tarball at
> > http://swtch.com/drawterm/ is up to date.
>
> nice! thanks.  compiled right out of the box on a dual g4 box (10.4.8)
> so far it is good enough to send messages to 9fans!

Hmm I got a binary from andrey and when I run it on my iMac it just
hangs when trying to connect to mordor.  Can't enter anything to
authenticate.

Actually that happens if I just launch it in general it seems too.
This wasn't the case on my macbook though.... odd.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10 16:39             ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2007-01-10 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Re: request: native graphics on OS X
@ 2007-01-10 16:39           ` Abhey Shah
From: Abhey Shah @ 2007-01-10 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

because of CGImageCreateWithImageInRect it looks like it's 10.4 only
which might be why it's not working on the imac?

@ 2007-01-10 16:46             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-01-10 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/10/07, Abhey Shah <as234@york.ac.uk> wrote:
> because of CGImageCreateWithImageInRect it looks like it's 10.4 only
> which might be why it's not working on the imac?

I've got 10.4 :-)

It's an Intel iMac.

@ 2007-01-11 22:54               ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-01-11 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I just found out my spinny beachball of doom goes away if I run as
root vs running as a normal user... I wonder if my filesystem
permissions are dorked up.  I ran a ktrace on this and saw a ton of
syscalls to sigprocmask...

Dave

@ 2007-01-11 22:53               ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-01-11 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes, but the patch hasn't made it there yet (i just checked).
everything else is the same.

@ 2007-01-11 22:48             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-01-11 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs