* [9fans] dvd writing
@ 2006-01-03 12:35 pac7
From: pac7 @ 2006-01-03 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry for inconvenience, this posting belongs primarily to Geoff
Collyer, whose mailserver unfortunately bounces back my messages.
Thanks, Peter.

From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2005-12-09  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

from my experience cdfs doesn't handle writing DVDs. before
writing DVDs can be generally useful, someone needs to write
UDF support. i was re-writing cdfs awhile back to support
more features for mastering CDs, and the intent was to add
UDF and DVD support. life threw me some curve balls before i
could finish it, though.

if no one beats me to it, i intend to spend some time on it
when i have the time, but i am in the middle of moving and
my dev environment isn't functional.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] dvd writing
@ 2005-12-06 10:11 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2005-12-06 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Has anybody managed to write a DVD+R or +RW using Plan 9?
> And if so, how?  Neither scuzz nor cdfs seems to be able
> to write +RW discs on my machine.  I had some luck writing
> a +R disc with my modified scuzz, but there were complications.

I had to perform all sorts of songs and dances to get CDs written on a
do-everything DVD-Recorder.  The device reset the speed on medium
insertion, but that wasn't getting picked up.  I then had to adjust
the (write) speed to match the medium _and_ could never be sure
whether DMA was meant to be on or not, as I have what seems to be a
flaky IDE device or two on that particular host.

Once I got the knack of checking and setting things, I stopped getting
errors part way through writing a track.  As for writing DVDs, I don't
have enough cache space anywhere, even on the network, to hold the
capacity, so I've never had occasion to try.  I'm sure that at the
right speed, cdfs will do the right thing.  In fact, even over the
network, I've been able to create viable CDs, as long as I don't try
to write too fast to them.

++L

* [9fans] dvd writing
@ 2005-12-06  9:54 geoff