* Re: [9fans] ssh server?
@ 2004-02-07 16:12 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2004-02-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 vdharani@infernopark.com wrote:

> another quick question.
>
> did u say i could ssh to plan 9 box? i tried it but i dont think it works
> for me. do i have to set up ssh server manually? what are the steps i
> should take?

Crank up a auth server and follow the instructions on config'ing ssh for
each user you wish to provide with that server.

I don't remember if this got left in the SysAdmin article but the process
is detailed in the Hangar 18 How To,

http://open-forge.com/hangar18/Plan9Intro.txt

This document explains how to do a single I/O,cpu,auth server using kfs.
This is the first thing you really need to build to create a working P9
cloud. My personal view is that it should be at minimal a three machine
cloud. Two cpu servers, one running I/O and another running auth. The third
will be a fileserver.

Also, if you want to go -from- a P9 box to a non-P9 box you should look
into 'vt'. It will make your life much easier than trying to do it from a
standard rc prompt. This will save you some considerable agravation ;)

 -- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com

* [9fans] ssh server?
@ 2004-02-07 18:19 vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2004-02-07 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hi,

another quick question.

did u say i could ssh to plan 9 box? i tried it but i dont think it works
for me. do i have to set up ssh server manually? what are the steps i
should take?

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] ssh server?
@ 2004-02-07 21:09   ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2004-02-07 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Also, if you want to go -from- a P9 box to a non-P9 box you should look
> into 'vt'. It will make your life much easier than trying to do it from a
> standard rc prompt. This will save you some considerable agravation ;)

Sometimes.  It depends on what you're doing and what your
expectations are.  With sam -r or acme and u9fs, there
isn't too much call for cursor addressing even on Unix.
Really, in a rio window, even ed is pretty comfortable.
It sure beats using vi over a modem connection (as I am
sadly doing now).  Besides, vt has no cut and paste (well,
it has paste, I suppose), and that's painful.

That's not to say I never use vt -- it is the only way I
know of to play rogue on Plan 9.  Sometimes it's necessary
for real work, though.

Micah

* Re: [9fans] ssh server?
@ 2004-02-08  1:21     ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2004-02-08  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Micah Stetson wrote:

> > Also, if you want to go -from- a P9 box to a non-P9 box you should look
> > into 'vt'. It will make your life much easier than trying to do it from a
> > standard rc prompt. This will save you some considerable agravation ;)
>
> Sometimes.  It depends on what you're doing and what your
> expectations are.

Duh, no kidding? At no point did I say it was the solution to all
problems.

You misrepresent my statement.

 -- --

@ 2004-02-08  4:56   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-02-08  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Also, if you want to go -from- a P9 box to a non-P9 box you should look
> into 'vt'. It will make your life much easier than trying to do it from a
> standard rc prompt. This will save you some considerable agravation ;)

yeah, well, i'm opening a of bottle of red.

i loved the p9 cursor terminal stuff.

ever  heard of  XEROX PARC?

* Re: [9fans] ssh server?
@ 2004-02-08 18:59       ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2004-02-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Feb 7, 2004, at 5:21 PM, Jim Choate wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Micah Stetson wrote:
>> Sometimes.  It depends on what you're doing and what your
>> expectations are.
>
> Duh, no kidding? At no point did I say it was the solution to all
> problems.

I guess this feeling only lasted for 60 seconds, then?

On Feb 7, 2004, at 5:20 PM, Jim Choate wrote:
> You're of course welcome to your own opinion.

Ah, well, 60 seconds a year is better than before.  Way to stick to
those New Year's resolutions.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] ssh server?
@ 2004-02-09 17:08       ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2004-02-09 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Choate

> > Sometimes.  It depends on what you're doing and what your
> > expectations are.
>
> Duh, no kidding? At no point did I say it was the solution to all
> problems.

I didn't mean to imply that you said anything like that.
This is what you said:

> It [vt] will make your life much easier than trying to do it from a
> standard rc prompt.

I interpreted this to mean that in most cases, when
working with other systems (i.e. Unix), vt provides a
better interface than a simple rio window (which you term
a standard rc prompt).  If this is not what you meant,
feel free to enlighten me.

My "Sometimes..." statement could probably have been
better worded like this: "In certain cases, Jim may be
right about this.  But in my situation and, I think, more
generally, rio is quite often more comfortable than vt,
even for interacting with other systems." My hope was
that whomever you were advising to look into vt would
also try just using rio and decide what was better in
his/her situation.  I should probably have stated this
more clearly or not entered the conversation at all.

> You misrepresent my statement.

If I did so, it was unintentional, and I apologize.  I
also apologize to the list for the unnecessary noise.
I will try to hold my tongue in the future.

Micah

* Re: [9fans] ssh server?
@ 2004-02-09 17:46         ` a
From: a @ 2004-02-09 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// ...rio is quite often more comfortable than vt, even
// for interacting with other systems.

i agree very much. with rio and hold mode, 'cat' becomes
a better (IMHO) visual editor than vi or emacs.

and i'd feel even more confident with that statement if
i'd get off my butt long enough to put Find in the button
two menu.

er, maybe not actually *off* my butt, you get the idea.
ア