* [9fans] OT: EETimes: The trouble with Rover is revealed
@ 2004-02-22  7:58 9nut
From: 9nut @ 2004-02-22  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found this interesting.  Also interesting that Wind River is not
getting more mileage out of the fact that Rover runs VxWorks.
If it was M$, we'd never be able to shut them up.

	"Part of my responsibility in the data management team is to
	keep track of the data files that are created, transmitted and
	deleted on the rover during the mission," Klemm explained.
	"We recognized early in the planning process that the flash
	file system had a limited capacity for files.  It is not just
	a limitation in the flash itself but also in the directory
	structure."

Full article:
http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20040220S0046

P.S.
Is glenda's space helmet a hint?

* Re: [9fans] OT: EETimes: The trouble with Rover is revealed
@ 2004-02-23  1:54 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-02-23  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I like the part where the OS suspends a task that has a memory allocation
failure.

But then again, I've never liked vx(Doesn't)Worx, not since having 64
machines running it in a parallel machine long ago.

ron

* Re: [9fans] OT: EETimes: The trouble with Rover is revealed
@ 2004-02-23 15:00   ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2004-02-23 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, ron minnich wrote:

> But then again, I've never liked vx(Doesn't)Worx, not since having 64
> machines running it in a parallel machine long ago.

Perhaps that was more a reflection on the way it was implimented. After
all the rovers are certainly -working-. Could P9 have failed that
gracefully? I doubt it.

About the only other OS that I'm aware of in that class in QNX.

I like 'em both.

 -- --

  Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
  512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)                            help@open-forge.com

  Hangar 18          Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
  512-451-7087                               http://open-forge.org/hangar18

  James Choate    512-451-7087     ravage@ssz.com    jchoate@open-forge.com