* [9fans] authentication fails strangely after changing password
@ 2009-04-22 22:24 Sean Caron
From: Sean Caron @ 2009-04-22 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: scaron

hi folks,

i needed to change my password today. i logged in to my plan 9 box using
drawterm
and used 'passwd' to change the password for my account, scaron, and got
on the
system console and used 'passwd' to change the password for bootes.

didn't get any errors when changing the password; it all seemed to 'take'

now, when i connect to my system via drawterm and log in, i get something
like
this:

user: scaron
scaron@diablonet.net password: ((type it))
\n : server says: cpu: srvauth: auth_proxy rpc write: ((garbage))

goodbye

or some variant on this. then it drops me. it seems to be exhibiting this
behaviour
for both my user and the bootes user with 100% consistency.

looks like a buffer overflow somewhere.

nothing changed besides my password and that of the bootes user.

this system hasn't pull'd any updates in a while (maybe like a year..)

is there anything i can do to rescue this or do i just need to blow the
system
away and start over?

thanks,

-sean

* Re: [9fans] authentication fails strangely after changing password
@ 2009-04-22 22:45 ` Sean Caron
From: Sean Caron @ 2009-04-22 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: scaron

hi again,

sorry for asking without experimenting first. and doubly so for replying
to my own message.

for the archives' sake, just wanted to say: i just blew away the nvram

echo blah > /dev/sdC0/nvram

then rebooted the system; respecified auth information when prompted.

then used auth/changeuser to reset passwords for bootes and myself

i'd hate to do it for hundreds of users but it did the trick for me.

best,

-sean

@ 2009-04-23  0:21   ` john
From: john @ 2009-04-23  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scaron, 9fans

> hi again,
>
> sorry for asking without experimenting first. and doubly so for replying
> to my own message.
>
> for the archives' sake, just wanted to say: i just blew away the nvram
>
> echo blah > /dev/sdC0/nvram
>
> then rebooted the system; respecified auth information when prompted.
>
> then used auth/changeuser to reset passwords for bootes and myself
>
> i'd hate to do it for hundreds of users but it did the trick for me.
>
> best,
>
> -sean

You should only have to do this when you change the bootes password;
it is Bad News when the nvram password doesn't match the bootes password.

No need to do it if you change a different user's password.

John

* Re: [9fans] authentication fails strangely after changing password
@ 2009-04-23  0:24     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-04-23  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You should only have to do this when you change the bootes password;
> it is Bad News when the nvram password doesn't match the bootes password.
>
> No need to do it if you change a different user's password.

it's also bad news if your fileserver does not agree. :-)

auth/debug is very helpful in finding misconfigurations.

- erik