* [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-08 21:28 michaelian ennis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: michaelian ennis @ 2016-11-08 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I just realized that the next would be the 9th International Workshop on
Plan 9.  I wonder where it will be.

Ian

* Re: [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-08 21:33 ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-11-08 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

And will the Proceedings be called 9p?

@ 2016-11-08 21:42 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2016-11-08 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, michaelian ennis

michaelian ennis <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just realized that the next would be the 9th International Workshop
>on
>Plan 9.  I wonder where it will be.
>
>Ian

outer space

* Re: [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-08 21:47   ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2016-11-08 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I assume it’s going to be held in Rio?

* Re: [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-08 21:58   ` Joseph Stewart
From: Joseph Stewart @ 2016-11-08 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Would it be possible to have a virtual workshop?

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Stanley Lieber <sl@9front.org> wrote:

> michaelian ennis <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I just realized that the next would be the 9th International Workshop
> >on
> >Plan 9.  I wonder where it will be.
> >
> >Ian
>
> outer space

* Re: [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-09  3:20     ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2016-11-09  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016, Andrew Simmons wrote:

> I assume it?s going to be held in Rio?

Makes sense. It's bankrupt, just like the people who destroyed the Labs.

* Re: [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-09 10:14       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2016-11-09 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

destroyed the Labs? details please.

* Re: [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-09 11:49         ` Kaviraj Launchyard
From: Kaviraj Launchyard @ 2016-11-09 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

even most of https://plan9.io/plan9/ stopped working.. :(

@ 2016-11-09 20:05           ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2016-11-09 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Any dates ? Crazy idea - Kazan, Russia.

Ready to meet :) he he

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

* Re: [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-09 22:16 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-11-09 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

crazier things have been happening lately.  anything is possible.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM michaelian ennis <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just realized that the next would be the 9th International Workshop on
> Plan 9.  I wonder where it will be.
>
> Ian

* Re: [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-09 22:26   ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2016-11-09 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm thinking it should be in a hangar.

-jas

> On Nov 9, 2016, at 4:16 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> crazier things have been happening lately.  anything is possible.
>
>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM michaelian ennis <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just realized that the next would be the 9th International Workshop on Plan 9.  I wonder where it will be.
>>
>> Ian

* Re: [9fans] IWP9
@ 2016-11-09 22:53     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2016-11-09 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

are you trying to hire us?

On 11/9/16, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking it should be in a hangar.
>
> -jas
>
>> On Nov 9, 2016, at 4:16 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> crazier things have been happening lately.  anything is possible.
>>
>>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM michaelian ennis
>>> <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just realized that the next would be the 9th International Workshop on
>>> Plan 9.  I wonder where it will be.
>>>
>>> Ian

* [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-10  6:03   ` Andrew Simmons
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2016-11-10  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I’ve just been asked to respond to the following. Apart from number 8, where the answer is clearly “because they are clinically insane”, I am at a loss. Any hints from the group?

1)           What is the base object in .Net
2)           Which version of Asp.Net MVC have you used
3)           Explain MVC in general
4)           Which version of the .Net are you most familiar with
5)           Explain why you would use an outer join vs an inner join
6)           Can you explain the request Flow in Asp.Net MVC
7)           Explain Dependency Injection
8)           Why would a developer choose to use EF
9)           What is the difference between Javascript and jQuery
10)         What are extensions methods
11)         What source control systems have you used
12)         Have you gathered systems requirements from clients? If so, please give some details

* Re: [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-10  6:59     ` Kurt H Maier
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2016-11-10  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 07:03:24PM +1300, Andrew Simmons wrote:
> I’ve just been asked to respond to the following. Apart from number 8, where the answer is clearly “because they are clinically insane”, I am at a loss. Any hints from the group?

Happy to help.

> 1)           What is the base object in .Net

Despair.

> 2)           Which version of Asp.Net MVC have you used

The wrong one.

> 3)           Explain MVC in general

The 'model' is your database connection.  This never works.  The 'view'
is what displays error messages to the user.  The 'controller' is what
allows the user to send injection attacks to your datastore.

> 4)           Which version of the .Net are you most familiar with

3.5, unless your organization has money, in which case 4.5 and above.

> 5)           Explain why you would use an outer join vs an inner join

An outer join is used when you don't clearly understand your search
algorithm.  An inner join is used when you got your data structures
wrong.

> 6)           Can you explain the request Flow in Asp.Net MVC

Sure!  It goes like this:  request-> collection -> base -> handlergetter
-> handler -> controllerfactory -> controller -> actionrunner -> filter
-> action -> result -> exception -> 500 error.

> 7)           Explain Dependency Injection

This is what we call passing arguments.

> 8)           Why would a developer choose to use EF

So that we don't have to know how to look up the arguments we want to
pass.

> 9)           What is the difference between Javascript and jQuery

Nothing.  There is no such thing as javascript; it is an archaic term
for jquery, which is now known as react.

> 10)         What are extensions methods

These used to be called 'functions' but that term has been deprecated
both because procedural programming is for squares and those functional
programming kids keep overloading terminology.

> 11)         What source control systems have you used

Is this a trick question?  Or are you considering 'github' and 'git' to
be different things?  I don't understand what you are asking.

> 12)         Have you gathered systems requirements from clients? If so, please give some details

Clients are the wrong place to gather systems requirements.  Attempting
to interact with clients for any amount of time quickly leads to
injection dependency.  The proper place to gather systems requirements
is the project budget comptroller (to determine scale) and the executive
vice president of sales (to determine scope).

Fingers crossed for the followup interview!

khm

* Re: [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-10  7:08       ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-11-10  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Priceless, thank you for making me laugh! :)

@ 2016-11-10 22:06     ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2016-11-10 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If you wish :)

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

* Re: [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-11  8:11         ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2016-11-11  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well done !

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-11  9:57           ` Sevki Hasirci
From: Sevki Hasirci @ 2016-11-11  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

brilliant.

--

@ 2016-11-11 16:27       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2016-11-11 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10 November 2016 at 06:59, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:

> > 7)           Explain Dependency Injection
>
> This is what we call passing arguments.

In the newer ASP.NET Core, they've ramped it up by extensive use of
reflection, so your program ends up trapped in a hall of mirrors,
and you've no idea who calls anything, with what, when, and why.

* Re: [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-12 15:13         ` cigar562hfsp952fans
From: cigar562hfsp952fans @ 2016-11-12 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com> writes:

> In the newer ASP.NET Core, they've ramped it up by extensive use of
> reflection, so your program ends up trapped in a hall of mirrors,
> and you've no idea who calls anything, with what, when, and why.

Perhaps they're taking their lead from Ruby.

* Re: [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-12 15:18       ` cigar562hfsp952fans
From: cigar562hfsp952fans @ 2016-11-12 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 07:03:24PM +1300, Andrew Simmons wrote:
>> I’ve just been asked to respond to the following. Apart from number 8, where the answer is clearly “because they are clinically insane”, I am at a loss. Any hints from the group?
>>

> Happy to help.

LMAO.  That's not just funny - it's smart-funny.  Perfect!

Come to think of it... if Andrew actually submitted those as answers to
the questions, it would certainly get the recruiter's attention.
Whether that would work for him, or against him, depends on the
particular circumstances.

* [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-12 21:18         ` Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2016-11-12 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Excellent suggestions by Kurt. I'm sorely tempted to submit them to the
recruiter, but I don't think he'd get the joke.

* Re: [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-13 20:38     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2016-11-13 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10 November 2016 at 06:03, Andrew Simmons <kodogo@gmail.com> wrote:

> 6)           Can you explain the request Flow in Asp.Net MVC

The correct answer is "Is that an African or an English MVC flow?" (the
point being that it changed significantly between ASP.NET MVC 5 and the
 replacement ASP.NET Core MVC)

* Re: [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-13 20:49     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2016-11-13 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10 November 2016 at 06:03, Andrew Simmons <kodogo@gmail.com> wrote:

> 9)           What is the difference between Javascript and jQuery

It's funny about JavaScript. (Never mind jQuery.) Given the heart-thumping
power of even modern little devices, there's no reason whatsoever why they
couldn't implement proper concurrent programming in a modern browser. On
the server, people still fuss about the number of processes, and devise
clever hacks like async/await in C#, because servers might have to deal
with many millions of  incoming connections given poor session management.
On the client, though? No. Still, although browsers have expanded beyond
the traditional dreams of avarice, they still can't do basic multiplexing
well.

* Re: [9fans] Job interview questions
@ 2016-11-14  0:09       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-11-14  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On
> the server, people still fuss about the number of processes, and devise
> clever hacks like async/await in C#, because servers might have to deal
> with many millions of  incoming connections given poor session management.

except when the server is nodejs running javascript.