* [9fans] plan9 going to Hangar 18.
@ 2003-04-01 21:28 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-01 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just a heads up.  After over 12 years of
leading the Plan 9 effort, we have finally
figured out that we just don't "get it."
About two months ago, after the last flame
war that finally showed us the error of our
ways, we started working with Hangar 18 to
transition all Plan 9 related development
activities to them.  The remaining lawyers
at Lucent have agreed to grant them a
non-transferable, non-exclusive license to
the Plan 9 technology, and hence-forth they
will be the main focal point around which
further Plan 9 related efforts will
revolve.  From now on, Jim Choate
(ravage@einstein.ssz.com) is the main
contact for all Plan 9 questions or issues.
Don't email 9trouble@plan9.bell-labs.com
anymore.  That just routes to /dev/null
until Jim can get igor finished.

We made the decision to pass the reigns to
Hangar 18 because of their outstanding track
record of community contribution and their
clear, articulate vision of how Plan 9 can
help to mold the future of the world.  We
feel confident that they will provide an
excellent framework for others to build on.
We knew we were right when, after formally
closing the deal online, Hanger 18 sent each
of us a beautifully embroidered golf shirt
with the worlds, "tact sucks" emblazoned in
red across the front.

As for us?  We'll go back to trying to port
Windows XP to ken's toaster.

It's been a wild ride, and it was fun while
it lasted.

Russ

* [9fans] Competing April Fool's Jokes
@ 2003-04-01 21:40 ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2003-04-01 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Unless, of course, someone announces that Hangar18 & Debian have merged
;-)

--J

* Re: [9fans] Competing April Fool's Jokes
@ 2003-04-01 21:47   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-04-01 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that news was of course being held over until tomorrow, after
the markets closed, just in case no one
believed it because of the date, but it's just as you say.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1714 bytes --]

From: Joel Salomon <salomo3@cooper.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Competing April Fool's Jokes
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:40:03 -0500 (EST)

Unless, of course, someone announces that Hangar18 & Debian have merged
;-)

--J

* Re: [9fans] plan9 going to Hangar 18.
@ 2003-04-01 23:01 ` mike
From: mike @ 2003-04-01 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ROFLMAO

--
Michael H. Collins
http://linuxlink.com

* Re: [9fans] plan9 going to Hangar 18.
@ 2003-04-01 23:40   ` David Yitzchak Cohen
From: David Yitzchak Cohen @ 2003-04-01 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

/me loves reading mail on April 1st :-)

 - Dave

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 05:01:03PM -0600, mike wrote:
> ROFLMAO
>
> Russ Cox wrote:
> >Just a heads up.  After over 12 years of
> >leading the Plan 9 effort, we have finally
> >figured out that we just don't "get it."
> >About two months ago, after the last flame
> >war that finally showed us the error of our
> >ways, we started working with Hangar 18 to
> >transition all Plan 9 related development
> >activities to them.  The remaining lawyers
> >at Lucent have agreed to grant them a
> >non-transferable, non-exclusive license to
> >the Plan 9 technology, and hence-forth they
> >will be the main focal point around which
> >further Plan 9 related efforts will
> >revolve.  From now on, Jim Choate
> >(ravage@einstein.ssz.com) is the main
> >contact for all Plan 9 questions or issues.
> >Don't email 9trouble@plan9.bell-labs.com
> >anymore.  That just routes to /dev/null
> >until Jim can get igor finished.
> >
> >We made the decision to pass the reigns to
> >Hangar 18 because of their outstanding track
> >record of community contribution and their
> >clear, articulate vision of how Plan 9 can
> >help to mold the future of the world.  We
> >feel confident that they will provide an
> >excellent framework for others to build on.
> >We knew we were right when, after formally
> >closing the deal online, Hanger 18 sent each
> >of us a beautifully embroidered golf shirt
> >with the worlds, "tact sucks" emblazoned in
> >red across the front.
> >
> >As for us?  We'll go back to trying to port
> >Windows XP to ken's toaster.
> >
> >It's been a wild ride, and it was fun while
> >it lasted.
> >
> >Russ
> >

> --
> Michael H. Collins
> http://linuxlink.com
> 512-442-2009	512-656-9508

The following attachment had content that we can't
prove to be harmless.  To avoid possible automatic
execution, we changed the content headers.
The original header was:

[-- Attachment #2.2: file.suspect --]

* Re: [9fans] plan9 going to Hangar 18.
@ 2003-04-02  8:20 ` Anders Soendergaard
From: Anders Soendergaard @ 2003-04-02  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Now *that* was just outrageously funny!
#1 aprils fool...

--
/Anders

* Re: [9fans] plan9 going to Hangar 18.
@ 2003-04-03  1:06 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-04-03  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> As for us?  We'll go back to trying to port
> Windows XP to ken's toaster.
>
> It's been a wild ride, and it was fun while
> it lasted.
>
> Russ

Oh! Please!
I read this April 2, 2003 here! ☺