* Re: [9fans] [off topic] HTML to PostScript?
       [not found] <2767366193@snellwilcox.com>
@ 2003-07-30 16:14 ` steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2003-07-30 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How about

	generate_raw_data | awk 'prog to manipulate data' |
		awk 'turn data into tbl/MS macros' |
		tbl |
		ms2html > report.ps

admittedly ms2html is Plan9 specific (uses libc/bio not stdio).

-Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 874 bytes --]

From: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] [off topic] HTML to PostScript?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:55:49 +0100

Can anyone suggest open source/freeware/GPL tools that convert HTML
to postscript?  I'm looking for something that's a modern tbl/nroff
equivalent for simple reporting needs, even in a Unix type environment.
E.g.,

	generate_raw_data | awk 'prog to manipulate data' |
		awk 'turn data in simple HMTL' |
		magic_program_here > report.ps

Thanks,

Arnold Robbins

* Re: [9fans] [off topic] HTML to PostScript?
@ 2003-07-30 16:29   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2003-07-30 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

steve.simon@snellwilcox.com wrote:
> 	generate_raw_data | awk 'prog to manipulate data' |
> 		awk 'turn data into tbl/MS macros' |
> 		tbl |
> 		ms2html > report.ps

Wouldn't that be troff instead of ms2html?

Or:

	generate_raw_data | awk 'prog to manipulate data' |
		awk 'turn data into simple HTML' |
		html2ms | troff > report.ps

?

(going from the 30s of Google research -- sorry for any obvious ignorance)

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] [off topic] HTML to PostScript?
@ 2003-07-30 17:09     ` rog
From: rog @ 2003-07-30 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 		html2ms | troff > report.ps

actually

	html2ms | troff | lp -d stdout > report.ps

is probably slightly more accurate.

* Re: [9fans] [off topic] HTML to PostScript?
@ 2003-08-04  8:59 ` GBA
From: GBA @ 2003-08-04  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Aharon Robbins wrote:
> Can anyone suggest open source/freeware/GPL tools that convert HTML
> to postscript?  I'm looking for something that's a modern tbl/nroff
> equivalent for simple reporting needs, even in a Unix type environment.
> E.g.,
>
> 	generate_raw_data | awk 'prog to manipulate data' |
> 		awk 'turn data in simple HMTL' |
> 		magic_program_here > report.ps
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arnold Robbins
htmldoc.
http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/

As of yet doesn't fully support HTML 4.0, but if you aren't trying to be
fancy, it shoulden't matter.

-Jeff Avila

* Re: [9fans] [off topic] HTML to PostScript?
       [not found] <1111306366@snellwilcox.com>
@ 2003-07-30 16:38 ` steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2003-07-30 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry, yes, mind on other things

-Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 947 bytes --]

From: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] [off topic] HTML to PostScript?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:29:13 +0100

@ 2003-07-30 16:21 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2003-07-30 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Aharon Robbins wrote:
> Can anyone suggest open source/freeware/GPL tools that convert HTML
> to postscript?

As a tangent, Adobe Acrobat does a pretty decent job of HTML->PDF.
Sometimes I think it does a better layout/rendering job than some of the
browsers.

I wonder, if we had an HTML->PS utility, could we use some variation of
'page' as a Web browser (sans active content)?  Maybe listing links from
the page in a menu as if they were separate pages in the document, and
then doing another set of fetches, rerendering, etc?

-Jack

* [9fans] [off topic] HTML to PostScript?
@ 2003-07-30 15:55 Aharon Robbins