* [9fans] Intel i81x driver
@ 2003-08-29  3:11 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-08-29  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For the memory of David Hogan who contributed much to our
Plan 9 community, and for my machine at home,
I updated /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/i81x.c for use with high resolution
CRTs.

Original dhog's driver assumes that the registers for LCD are set
properly by the machine's BIOS, in such case for notebook.   Then,
it didn't work for high resolution CRTs.   I added codes for it.
I have, though, only one machine with the chip of i810-DC100
(0x8086/0x7123, actually, it's DELL Optiplex-GX100, old enough☺),
and tested only on it.

I chose to send this to the developper, because I thought graphic
driver should be included in the distribution itself.  If not, how we
can install Plan 9 in some case.  Then, I believe this update will help
some wjo has 810-DC100 on board chip on the machine at least.
It will work upto 1376x1024x16.   If someone has problem with
this driver, I'll do my best if I can help you.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Intel i81x driver
@ 2003-08-29  3:15 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2003-08-29  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have put Kenji's modified driver on sources.
Thank you, Kenji.

* Re: [9fans] Intel i81x driver
@ 2003-08-29  3:42   ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-08-29  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have put Kenji's modified driver on sources.
> Thank you, Kenji.

Thanks!

I used up my summer free time for those two graphic drivers.
During this, yes, I learned much about what is PCI, AGP or graphic
chip itself, and it was good to me.   I'm afraid I'll forget them very
soon...  Too old am I. ☺

This is the end of my summer vacation.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Intel i81x driver
@ 2003-08-29  3:55     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-08-29  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Too old am I. ☺

Yoda?!

* Re: [9fans] Intel i81x driver
@ 2003-08-29  4:07       ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-08-29  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yoda?!

Not so much. ☺

* Re: [9fans] Intel i81x driver
@ 2003-08-29  8:36         ` Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2003-08-29  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp> wrote in message news:7ccce25f3d3ea4c9fc652d3ec3749693@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp...
> > Yoda?!
>
> Not so much. ☺

That was 'Too old I am..Yes', IIRC

Tiit

* Re: [9fans] Intel i81x driver
@ 2003-08-30 22:19 ` pstanley
From: pstanley @ 2003-08-30 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Kenji. The update is very much appreciated.

cheers,
pip

okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:

> For the memory of David Hogan who contributed much to our
> Plan 9 community, and for my machine at home,
> I updated /sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/i81x.c for use with high resolution
> CRTs.
<deletia>
> Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Intel i81x driver
@ 2003-08-29  8:15 Tiit Lankots
From: Tiit Lankots @ 2003-08-29  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

<okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp> wrote in message news:7ccce25f3d3ea4c9fc652d3ec3749693@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp...
> > Yoda?!
>
> Not so much. ☺

That was 'Too old I am...Yes', IIRC. Yoda always spoke reverse polish.

Tiit