* [9fans] Plan 9 Go 386
@ 2013-05-23 22:14 Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2013-05-23 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am trying to get the Plan 9/386 port of go stable enough to run a
builder on one of my machines, but I've run into a few snags and could
use some guidance.

Here's the relevant setup:
VMware Workstation instance running as CPU/FS/Auth server
Thinkpad T21 running as a CPU server

The Plan 9 install is up to date against sources, and the go tree is tip.

Compiling the go tool chain with sse2 under VMware yields broken
tools, and building with GO386=387, consistently breaks the tests. On
bare metal, all tests except net/http pass most of the time. When a
test fails I get the following errors:

>From the test:
<test> <pid>: suicide: sys: trap: fault write addr=0xfffffffc pc=0x0001e6ea
panic: runtime error: index out of range

<followed by a goroutine stack trace>

On the console of the cpu server:

It doesn't matter what the test is, when it fails, it follows this pattern

An unrelated problem is in net/http, I am seeing any of the timeout
tests, e.g., TestServerTimeouts, TestTLSHandshakeTimeout, exceed the
test timeout. I am not sure what's going on there, but they all get
stuck in a call to Pread.

If anyone has any insight into what might be happening, your help
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary safety, deserve