* [9fans] Booting with a NE2000 clone hangs
@ 2002-04-08 13:01 Holly Olson
From: Holly Olson @ 2002-04-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, I'm trying to install Plan 9 on a  Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop, but
have had problems with the PCMCIA Ethernet cards.

The first was a Dell EtherLink III Lan and Modem PC card by 3com,
labeled as a 3C562D/3C563D. I used the adapter labeled "Etherlink III
PCMCIA (3C589)", downloaded the boot file to a floppy, edited the
plan9.ini changed the type to 3c562, and booted. I got these messages:

#y0 : 2 slot Intel 82365SL : port 0x3E0 irq 5
#l0 xcvr10BaseT 3C562
ether#0: 3C562 port 0x240 irq 10 006097FDD054
it starts loading PCFLOP.GZ, finishes, then these messages come out:

#y0 : 2 slot Intel 82365SL : port 0x3E0 irq 5
#l0 xcvr 10BaseT 3C562
#l0: 3C562 10Mbps port 0x240 irq 10: 006097FDD054

The link lights come on, the boot install proceeds, appears to see the
Ethernet card, I address it manually, start the download, nothing
happens, eventually it times out and presents me the option to download
again. Tried the other pcmcia 3com driver, same result.

The second card is a ne2000 clone pcmcia card. When I boot with this
card, I get the message:

#y0 : 2 slot Intel 82365SL : port 0x3E0 irq 5

the link lights come on, on the card and switch port, but the install
hangs with a blinking cursor. When I add the "nodummyrr" option to the
ether line in the plan9.ini and boot, the install proceeds but the link
lights don't light and the card is not recognized in the "configarch"
step.

Any ideas are suggestions where I may be messing up?

Thanks

* [9fans] Re: Booting with a NE2000 clone hangs
@ 2002-04-09  9:17 ` Don
From: Don @ 2002-04-09  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Holly Olson <hdolso@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message news:<3CAFFFB0.EF271F3A@bellatlantic.net>...
> Any ideas are suggestions where I may be messing up?
Well, I dont quite think its you. I've had a couple experiences
with ne2000 clones where they boot and the OS actually _sees_
the card, yet, the card cannot even be probed or written to/
read from. (i.e. aux/pcmcia '#y/pcmXattr or writing to the data
file). The issue seems to be conflicting IRQ assignments in
the BIOS. My solution was to boot to the laptop's configuration
session and disable possibly conflicting devices. For me its
usually audio, which is cool since I don't use it except on
the CPU server. Unfortunately, for ne2000 clones, attempting
to adjust the IRQ via plan9.ini seems to make the boot code
ignore the card altogether (at least in my experience :).
Good luck & let me know if u find another solution,
Don
north_@www.7f.no-ip.com
http://www.7f.no-ip.info/

* [9fans] Re: Booting with a NE2000 clone hangs
@ 2002-04-09  9:18 ` Tom Olson
From: Tom Olson @ 2002-04-09  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Never mind. Problem solved with a new Netgear FA411 pcmcia card.