* [9fans] OLE vs. 9P
@ 2008-01-07 18:44 Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-01-07 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

did anyone already do some works on OLE-alike things via 9P ?

Would be great to move out things like browser plugins to
external servers.

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] OLE vs. 9P
@ 2008-01-07 20:14 ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2008-01-07 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 19:44 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> did anyone already do some works on OLE-alike things via 9P ?
>
> Would be great to move out things like browser plugins to
> external servers.

  OLE is heavily abused term. And example you gave with browser
plugins helps, but I'll be easier to answer you question if
you can be more specific.

  So far it strikes me as what you're looking for is a kind
of technology that Nemo has been working on. Look up Omero &
Ubiquitous user interfaces.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] OLE vs. 9P
@ 2008-01-08 18:31   ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-01-08 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com> wrote:

Hi,

>   OLE is heavily abused term. And example you gave with browser
> plugins helps, but I'll be easier to answer you question if
> you can be more specific.

Okay, then let's stay at browser plugins.

I really want to get them out to their own processes and
speaking 9P (nspluginwrapper is already going in that direction,
but not yet far enough)

We could start with an remote display/framebuffer (a little bit
like an tiny X via 9P ;-o)

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] OLE vs. 9P
@ 2008-01-09 20:46     ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2008-01-09 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 19:31 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >   OLE is heavily abused term. And example you gave with browser
> > plugins helps, but I'll be easier to answer you question if
> > you can be more specific.
>
> Okay, then let's stay at browser plugins.
>
> I really want to get them out to their own processes and
> speaking 9P (nspluginwrapper is already going in that direction,
> but not yet far enough)
>
> We could start with an remote display/framebuffer (a little bit
> like an tiny X via 9P ;-o)

  Well, in that case it seems that it would be indeed, all you need.
I'm very far from being an expert on how modern browsers are designed,
but it seems the only shared thing between a browser and a plugin
should be set of rectangular framebuffers. I would expect the rest
of resources to be either available as-is (audio, etc.) or be request
from the browser in a general fashion (bookmarks, history, etc.).
The trickiest part seems to be exploring locality for the mapped
rendering (imagine a multimedia plugin displaying an HD movie).

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] OLE vs. 9P
@ 2008-01-10  2:16       ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-01-10  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com> wrote:

>   Well, in that case it seems that it would be indeed, all you need.
> I'm very far from being an expert on how modern browsers are designed,
> but it seems the only shared thing between a browser and a plugin
> should be set of rectangular framebuffers. I would expect the rest
> of resources to be either available as-is (audio, etc.) or be request
> from the browser in a general fashion (bookmarks, history, etc.).

hmm, just had a quick look through the swfdec plugin code ...
Seems to be some bit more. There are also things like input
stream, URL access, etc.

Okay, let's start with an Canvas. I've collected some ideas:

* http://oss-qm.metux.de/index.php/9forge/Canvas

> The trickiest part seems to be exploring locality for the mapped
> rendering (imagine a multimedia plugin displaying an HD movie).

Those things require special interfaces, which tunnel streams
through 9P. Maybe something like mjpeg with timestamps.

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] OLE vs. 9P
@ 2008-01-10 10:36         ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2008-01-10 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>Okay, let's start with an Canvas. I've collected some ideas:

drawterm as browser plugin ?? :)

2008/1/10, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de>:

> * Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com> wrote:
>
> >   Well, in that case it seems that it would be indeed, all you need.
> > I'm very far from being an expert on how modern browsers are designed,
> > but it seems the only shared thing between a browser and a plugin
> > should be set of rectangular framebuffers. I would expect the rest
> > of resources to be either available as-is (audio, etc.) or be request
> > from the browser in a general fashion (bookmarks, history, etc.).
>
> hmm, just had a quick look through the swfdec plugin code ...
> Seems to be some bit more. There are also things like input
> stream, URL access, etc.
>
> Okay, let's start with an Canvas. I've collected some ideas:
>
> * http://oss-qm.metux.de/index.php/9forge/Canvas
>
> > The trickiest part seems to be exploring locality for the mapped
> > rendering (imagine a multimedia plugin displaying an HD movie).
>
> Those things require special interfaces, which tunnel streams
> through 9P. Maybe something like mjpeg with timestamps.
>

> cu
> --
> Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
> Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
>         http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
> Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
>         http://patches.metux.de/

С Уважением
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] OLE vs. 9P
@ 2008-01-10 20:45         ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2008-01-10 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 03:16 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > The trickiest part seems to be exploring locality for the mapped
> > rendering (imagine a multimedia plugin displaying an HD movie).
>
> Those things require special interfaces, which tunnel streams
> through 9P. Maybe something like mjpeg with timestamps.

  I don't think tunneling will get you very far. In this particular
case you really need to exploit locality and get to do DMA to the
device or the like. The tricky portion is arbitrating such resources.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] OLE vs. 9P
@ 2008-01-11  0:54           ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-01-11  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Sergey Zhilkin <szhilkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Okay, let's start with an Canvas. I've collected some ideas:
>
> drawterm as browser plugin ?? :)

hmm, maybe it might be an part of it.
Browser plugins need some bit more functionaility.
I'm thinking of an browser-plugin-fs, which provides several
standard interfaces for several things (canvas, javascript
access, plain data storage, audio-io, etc - each of them
mapped to its own subdir within browser-plugin-fs.

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/