* [9fans] 1/2 OT: per-process mounts/namespace @ Linux
@ 2007-09-07 20:09 Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2007-09-07 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

I was just reading some older mails on this list and thinking
about how to mimic the plan9 behaviour of local namespaces on
Linux. My idea is:

* each namespace is just some directory, ie. living somewhere
  under /.NAMESPACES/, maybe /.NAMESPACES/<pid>/
* these namespaces are maintained by either some daemon or
  an special synthetic filesystem
* processes with private namespaces are chroot()'ed to their
  own namespace directory.

What do you think about this ?

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] 1/2 OT: per-process mounts/namespace @ Linux
@ 2007-09-07 20:15 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-09-07 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Linux actually has private namespaces, its just off by default.  There
is a flag to clone which can be used to establish new processes in
private namespaces (CLONENS or some such thng).

Primary downside is that its superuser only -- but you could get
around it with setuid or custom kernel.

             -eric

On 9/7/07, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> I was just reading some older mails on this list and thinking
> about how to mimic the plan9 behaviour of local namespaces on
> Linux. My idea is:
>
> * each namespace is just some directory, ie. living somewhere
>   under /.NAMESPACES/, maybe /.NAMESPACES/<pid>/
> * these namespaces are maintained by either some daemon or
>   an special synthetic filesystem
> * processes with private namespaces are chroot()'ed to their
>   own namespace directory.
>

> What do you think about this ?
>

> cu
> --
>  Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
>  Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
>         http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
>  Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
>         http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] 1/2 OT: per-process mounts/namespace @ Linux
@ 2007-09-07 21:26   ` David Leimbach
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-09-07 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/7/07, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Linux actually has private namespaces, its just off by default.  There
> is a flag to clone which can be used to establish new processes in
> private namespaces (CLONENS or some such thng).
>
> Primary downside is that its superuser only -- but you could get
> around it with setuid or custom kernel.
>
>              -eric

Then you have to worry about what happens when people do things like binding
over /etc/passwd :-)

* Re: [9fans] 1/2 OT: per-process mounts/namespace @ Linux
@ 2007-09-07 21:38     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-09-07 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Then you have to worry about what happens when people do things like binding
> over /etc/passwd :-)

no, you need to worry why that is still there.

* Re: [9fans] 1/2 OT: per-process mounts/namespace @ Linux
@ 2007-09-07 22:21     ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2007-09-07 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The simple solution would be to disable setuid/setgid flags for
private namespaces of users other than root. And then (not so simple)
fix programs
that don't work :)

   Lucho

@ 2007-09-07 22:27       ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-09-07 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There has been extensive discussion of multiple options here -- the
least of which is the paper I presented at OLS a few years back (Glen
or Glenda: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/vanhensbergen05glen.html).
There's an approachable list of safeguards.  Of course, if its your
desktop, you probably don't care to implement any of them...

    -eric

@ 2007-09-07 22:45     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-09-07 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/7/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then you have to worry about what happens when people do things like binding
> over /etc/passwd :-)

See all my old stuff from 2.0.36

rules: you can only make a private name space in /private
and, by definition, no special inode bits -- which was a feature to
me, I was ambivalent on the .u extensions.

I think that made it impossible to fake out the usual stuff.

ron

* Re: [9fans] 1/2 OT: per-process mounts/namespace @ Linux
@ 2007-09-07 22:45       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-09-07 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/7/07, Latchesar Ionkov <lucho@gmx.net> wrote:
> The simple solution would be to disable setuid/setgid flags for
> private namespaces of users other than root. And then (not so simple)
> fix programs
> that don't work :)

There's the other usual nonsense, such as device inodes etc. It's not
just setuid. But it's all pretty easy to fix.

ron