* [9fans] Using Acme as an external Editor
@ 2009-07-27  9:31 Aaron W. Hsu
From: Aaron W. Hsu @ 2009-07-27  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

Is there some idiom or method for using Acme as an external editor to some
other program? Say I want to use it as the editor that is spawned when I
do a CVS commit to a system; how would I do this, or can this even be
done? I'm using plan9ports, but I don't know how much of this question
relates to what.

	Aaron W. Hsu

--
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. -- C. S. Lewis

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme as an external Editor
@ 2009-07-27  9:38 ` Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2009-07-27  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Take a look at B, which can be used to send a file
to acme.  Also you may want to familiarize yourself with plumb.

@ 2009-07-27 10:47   ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2009-07-27 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That doesn't work because B ends after it plumbs the file to acme. CVS
will think that you're done. You need some

@ 2009-07-27 10:50     ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2009-07-27 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That doesn't work because B ends after it plumbs the file to acme. CVS
will think that you're done. You need something like p9p's ipso.

@ 2009-07-27 11:16       ` Lorenzo Bolla
From: Lorenzo Bolla @ 2009-07-27 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

E calls B, but sleeps until the file has been modified.
L.

@ 2009-07-27 11:22         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-07-27 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For what its worth, when I started using CVS on plan9
I trained myself to add a -m 'text' after every cvs ci
command.

I also added a -e false (where false is non-existant)
to my $home/lib/cvsrc so I can still omit the -m and
commit stuff with no log message...
	[pauses while the mutters in the back row abate]
if there is nothing useful to say.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme as an external Editor
@ 2009-07-27 18:06 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-07-27 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Is there some idiom or method for using Acme as an external editor to some
> other program? Say I want to use it as the editor that is spawned when I do a
> CVS commit to a system; how would I do this, or can this even be done? I'm
> using plan9ports, but I don't know how much of this question relates to what.

I was playing with this exact problem recently. There's an easy way to
send a file to acme for editing -- the plumber.  There's a downside, it
doesn't wait for the editor to save or complete.  So.. you could plumb the
file and then wait for a save to happen, somehow, or you can write another
program that forces a new acme window with the contents of the file and
waits for it to either Put or Del.  I wrote a small program to do this
recently (see the thread: http://9fans.net/archive/2009/06/290) which was
a bit hacky, but worked.  I solicited some feedback on some questions and
got some good advice from Russ (http://9fans.net/archive/2009/06/292) but
havent yet gone back and applied it.

> 	Aaron W. Hsu

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme as an external Editor
@ 2009-07-27 18:22   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-07-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Tim Newsham<newsham@lava.net> wrote:
>> Is there some idiom or method for using Acme as an external editor to some
>> other program? Say I want to use it as the editor that is spawned when I do
>> a CVS commit to a system; how would I do this, or can this even be done? I'm
>> using plan9ports, but I don't know how much of this question relates to
>> what.
>
> I was playing with this exact problem recently. There's an easy way to send
> a file to acme for editing -- the plumber.  There's a downside, it doesn't
> wait for the editor to save or complete.  So.. you could plumb the file and
> then wait for a save to happen, somehow, or you can write another program
> that forces a new acme window with the contents of the file and waits for it
> to either Put or Del.  I wrote a small program to do this recently (see the
> thread: http://9fans.net/archive/2009/06/290) which was a bit hacky, but
> worked.  I solicited some feedback on some questions and got some good
> advice from Russ (http://9fans.net/archive/2009/06/292) but havent yet gone
> back and applied it.

I don't think you need to be that fancy.
Lorenzo Bolla already pointed out E in this thread,
and it exists exactly for this purpose.

http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/sam.html
(description of E is at the end)

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme as an external Editor
@ 2009-07-28  1:19     ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-07-28  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Russ Cox<rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Tim Newsham<newsham@lava.net> wrote:
>>> Is there some idiom or method for using Acme as an external editor to some
>>> other program? Say I want to use it as the editor that is spawned when I do
>>> a CVS commit to a system; how would I do this, or can this even be done? I'm
>>> using plan9ports, but I don't know how much of this question relates to
>>> what.
>>
>> I was playing with this exact problem recently. There's an easy way to send
>> a file to acme for editing -- the plumber.  There's a downside, it doesn't
>> wait for the editor to save or complete.  So.. you could plumb the file and
>> then wait for a save to happen, somehow, or you can write another program
>> that forces a new acme window with the contents of the file and waits for it
>> to either Put or Del.  I wrote a small program to do this recently (see the
>> thread: http://9fans.net/archive/2009/06/290) which was a bit hacky, but
>> worked.  I solicited some feedback on some questions and got some good
>> advice from Russ (http://9fans.net/archive/2009/06/292) but havent yet gone
>> back and applied it.
>
> I don't think you need to be that fancy.
> Lorenzo Bolla already pointed out E in this thread,
> and it exists exactly for this purpose.
>
> http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/sam.html
> (description of E is at the end)
>
> Russ

One caveat about E: if you're paranoid like I am and save your file
many times while editing, E will not be terribly friendly until you
train yourself to save only when finished. (This is not a criticism of
E, it is merely a warning to people with my kind of idiosyncrasies)

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme as an external Editor
@ 2009-07-28  6:55       ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2009-07-28  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/7/28 J.R. Mauro <jrm8005@gmail.com>:
> One caveat about E: if you're paranoid like I am and save your file
> many times while editing, E will not be terribly friendly until you
> train yourself to save only when finished. (This is not a criticism of
> E, it is merely a warning to people with my kind of idiosyncrasies)

 Heh, I do this too. Ended up writing
http://sqweek.dnsdojo.org/plan9/acmeedit which also adds a Cancel
option so you can end the editing session with a non-zero exit (used
by some callers to abort the operation).
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] Using Acme as an external Editor
@ 2009-07-28 22:43         ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-07-28 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 2:55 AM, sqweek<sqweek@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/28 J.R. Mauro <jrm8005@gmail.com>:
>> One caveat about E: if you're paranoid like I am and save your file
>> many times while editing, E will not be terribly friendly until you
>> train yourself to save only when finished. (This is not a criticism of
>> E, it is merely a warning to people with my kind of idiosyncrasies)
>
>  Heh, I do this too. Ended up writing
> http://sqweek.dnsdojo.org/plan9/acmeedit which also adds a Cancel
> option so you can end the editing session with a non-zero exit (used
> by some callers to abort the operation).
> -sqweek

You are a lifesaver.